Massive scale fraud and ID theft.

Options
GloriaShaw85
GloriaShaw85 Posts: 78 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 18 July 2022 at 7:38PM in Credit cards
GLORIA SHAW IS NOT MY REAL NAME

I lived with my mother for 28 years. Been disabled this entire time. Domineering, unreasonable Mother managed finances and was carer, as she handled all that when I was a baby etc and I wasn’t really aware of these things. 

if I didn’t obey, I was often threatened as a child that she’d throw me in fostering, that after 16 years old children move out so I should move out and try to manage on my meagre income etc. 

She emotionally and mentally abused me, but i never really realised it till recently. 

I found love 2 years ago, and she’s done everything to destroy it. I moved out of her home in 2020 June-ish. 

She has access and taken all my bank accounts, credit cards, DLA benefits, was using my disabled badge when I wasn’t in the country and has opened accounts whilst I’ve been out the country too. I’ve come to know through trying to reclaim my credit ratings accounts etc. I managed to change log in details of some of these agencies, my phone bill etc, but they’ve reverted back to the fraudulent email address my mother has set up. Eg, if my actual email address is gloriashaw@hotmail.com she has created gloriashaw1985@hotmail.com, gloriashaw85@hotmail.com, gshaw1985@outlook.com etc

a car taken out on my name which became the family car, obtain motor insurance

she had access to and soft copies of my passport, drivers licence etc. 

I just successfully managed to wing a password to one of these emails and have seen correspondence between estate agents where she’s used my name to rent a place and signed a tenancy agreement, obtained accessibility  concert tickets, changed my log in details to credit ratings agencies by emailing them, and calling them as me, sending across a copy of my passport, even though I have cancelled that passport. 

I have seen there is £46,000 of debt since Feb 2022, as she has maxed out my credit cards

WHAT DO I DO?!?

she is ruining my life. I am scared debt collectors are going to turn up on my doorstep asking me to pay or take our things away, which are my husband’s (honestly), whilst we have a baby. And what trouble this will bring him and us, especially if he doesn’t know these things. How embarrassing and distressing it would be. 

I don’t have access to any of my bank accounts except Monzo, and that’s the only account linked to my present address. If I change my bank account log in details, she will find a way to gain access again. If I have money in there in the future, she could gain access and transfer money to herself. She was able to email METRO bank and clear out my safety deposit box, by emailing as me stating I’m giving her authority to do so, whilst emailing my ID, forging my signature etc

How do we stop her. Can she go to prison?!? 

Comments

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 July 2022 at 7:53PM
    Options
    Basically, you need to call the police and report a fraud ... she might go to prison.  It's either that or you pay back all the debts, if you do nothing you are responsible for repaying them.  The sooner you do it the sooner you can get a crime number (or whatever it is), which will stop any action from collectors. 
  • GloriaShaw85
    Options
    Will the police investigate???
  • sleepyjones
    Options
    Yes, of course, it's a criminal offence.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Seek advice from a lawyer.
  • GloriaShaw85
    Options
    I can’t afford a lawyer. Which type of lawyer anyway. 

:( 

ans she’s committed benefit fraud too. She has properties but claims universal tax credits and uses both her maiden and married names to bypass things eg properties bought in her married name, benefit claims in maiden name etc
  • GloriaShaw85
    GloriaShaw85 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 July 2022 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Please see what I just found in the sent items of the fraudulent  email she set up in my name so she can continue to assume my identity. An email to Metro Bank

I’ve bought some theatre accessible tickets, as a birthday treat, and the venue that holds my detailed informed they sent my tickets over to my email. When I asked them to confirm the email address, they did NOT have my actual and usual email address, which has been on record for years. Instead they had the fraudulent one which sounded so close to mine eg had my name, surname and then outlook.com. 

I winged the possible password, and was able to see all the !!!!!! this woman has been up to! Car insurance, selling my leased car, taking up a rental propertyunder my name asking the agents to “deal with my mother”, buying concert accessible tickets as me, renewing my freedom pass. 

I’ve even seen a subletting contract where she has sublet the property she is staying in, with my brother, and signed my name and my husband name on the AST agreement ie that My husband and I are subletting the place she’s taken a tenancy agreement on!!! I’m deeply ashamed and hurt by this and my husband would be so shocked, hurt and angry by this! Why should he be dragged into this?!?

:(I'm really depressed 

[Image removed by Forum Team]
  • sleepyjones
    Options
    I think you should probably tell your husband and decide together what to do next.

Either way, you need to discuss with a lawyer or get professional advice,  if you can't get a lawyer try going and talking to someone in the CAB https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Other issues aside - how can a leased car be sold legally ?
    That in itself would be attempted fraud.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You definitely need to go to the police and the DWP and report everything.

Then go to many of the organisations as possible showing that she's committing fraud.

Including the landlord of that property.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Report benefit fraud here.
    https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts