New role

Redundancy was likely.  Now offered a new role.  Where do I stand if I don't want it?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,265
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Likely?  Or were you told/written to to say you were being made redundant?

If it's substantially the same role and the redundancy was "likely" but not confirmed then you can take the role and new T&Cs or quit. 

If redundancy was confirmed and all the official bits outlined then there should be a portion to say "if you take a new role you will have a trial period and either you or us can reject you in the role during that time.  If this happens the redundancy (including payout etc) will take place."

At least that's how it has worked for me. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,738
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If it is "suitable alternative employment" (for which the legal definition is a bit wishy washy) & you unreasonably turn it down you will not get any redundancy payment

https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/suitable-alternative-employment
  • Ath_Wat
    Ath_Wat Posts: 1,504
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 July 2022 at 10:08AM
    If it is suitable (and if it's in the same place with the same pay and conditions and you can do it, it's likely to be considered suitable) to be honest your best bet if you just don't like it much is just to accept it and do it while you start looking for something else.

(That's assuming you have told them you don't want it and they have said "tough, we want you to stay", of course - they might say "Ok, we'll make you redundant and offer it to somebody else", but nobody is in a better position to know what they might do than you.)

If there are some overwhelming reasons why you don't want it they might point to whether it would be considered suitable.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback