Tax on Expenses

in Cutting tax
1 reply 142 views
Hi I occasionally work away and get all my hotels and travel booked for me by my employer.  What are the rules on paying tax on any further expenses?  They have been paying me £35 a day but I am getting taxed on this and it shows up as earnings, as I am under the tax thresh hold this could therefore take me over.  The £35 if just for meals?


  • edited 15 July 2022 at 12:47PM
    Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 15 July 2022 at 12:47PM
    IF your employer pays a flat rate for meals, rather than receipted actuals, then they either need to agree a rate with HMRC or use HMRC's benchmark rates.

    £35 is over HMRC's rate of £25 so is potentially taxable. I think its just the £10 over rather than the whole amount. (it can also change if your accommodation is B&B/half-board and certain trades have their own specific limits as well)

    Just because it is shown on your pay slip doesn't mean it is being taxed, is it marked as non-taxable or in a different column?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools