Windows software for creating greetings cards

in Crafting
10 replies 293 views
Chloe_GChloe_G Forumite
237 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
I've got print on demand shops but print my own cards at home to give to family and friends - can anyone recommend the best software to create my own cards?  At the moment I am using publisher but I find the text boxes really hard to manipulate and the guides/centering hard to use.  I also use the free version of Canva but that is really limited eg resizing etc all seems to cost money.   I suppose I could design in Canva and then download and put into a publisher template to print but wondered if anyone uses any other software/website which is free and easy.  Thank you.

Replies

• NodetteNodette Forumite
    77 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Chloe - I have used Serif DrawPlus and Serif PagePlus to print my own cards, posters etc.

I just did a search and Serif doesn't appear to exist any more but there seem to be several places on the internet where you can download both programs for free (darn, I had to pay £30 for mine, several years ago). Both programs are very intuitive and easy to use. And you can move work between them - you can create a special effect image in DrawPlus and cut and paste it into PagePlus, for example. 

I started out using it at home like you want to do, for cards and so on. But when I started work for a youth club and they wanted me to design posters for their events, I just could not work out how to do things easily in Publisher. So I persuaded them to get Serif and it ended up with all the local youth clubs using it because it was so straightforward.

I hope this helps.

Nodette
  • Chloe_GChloe_G Forumite
    237 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi @Nodette

Thanks for your reply!  I will check out the Serif programs today - they sound really good.  I plan to stay indoors over the hot weather so will have plenty of time to test it out.

Thank you!
  • Jenna_AppleseedJenna_Appleseed Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Serif still exist they just abandoned their old programmes and switched to creating/selling Affinity software (Photo is image editing similar to Photoshop, Designer is for vector designs/digital painting, & Affinity Publisher is layout/desktop publishing) 

Main forum is only for the Affinity range but they'd got an offical thread re the Drawplus/PagePlus software
    https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/164377-information-about-the-legacy-plus-range/

Unofficial fan forum for the old software that Serif staff have given their blessing to
    https://punster.me/serif/
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • AllyAlly Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use Paint.NET.  It is bare bones but it is free and there are plenty of add-ons  :)
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
    237 Posts
    Forumite
    Yes, I've got paint.net - it's really good and I use it to create images.  The only thing I find awkward is laying out a card with the right dimensions/guidelines etc so it prints correctly on my printer.  Used Canva for my last card but whenever I download it seems to change the image size and I have to get around it by choosing fit to page when I print.
  • AllyAlly Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Forumite
    @Chloe_G I've never actually tried printing from P.N, I usually send to word and print from there.
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

237 Posts
    Forumite
    I just find it doesn't size properly - I mean I set the size exactly but when it comes to printing and I have imported to Publisher or Word it seems to change it slightly so the images and text aren't centred.
  • AllyAlly Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Forumite
    I create a canvas the same dimensions of a card then centre images/text on P.N then copy image over to word and resize there and print.  I usually print cards on A4 card then cut down to size once it's folded in half (into a card) ... hope that makes sense!

• Robm1955Robm1955 Forumite
    527 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Inkscape is a great free alternative, for creative design. Plus, there are loads of tutorials on YouTube.
    237 Posts
    Forumite
    I've got Inkscape - mainly use it for Tracing Bitmaps to smooth lines out.  I really wish I had more time to watch all the tutorials!  I just seem to constantly run out of time.