Windows software for creating greetings cards

Options
Chloe_G
Chloe_G Posts: 318 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
I've got print on demand shops but print my own cards at home to give to family and friends - can anyone recommend the best software to create my own cards?  At the moment I am using publisher but I find the text boxes really hard to manipulate and the guides/centering hard to use.  I also use the free version of Canva but that is really limited eg resizing etc all seems to cost money.   I suppose I could design in Canva and then download and put into a publisher template to print but wondered if anyone uses any other software/website which is free and easy.  Thank you.

Comments

• Nodette
    Nodette Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Chloe - I have used Serif DrawPlus and Serif PagePlus to print my own cards, posters etc.

I just did a search and Serif doesn't appear to exist any more but there seem to be several places on the internet where you can download both programs for free (darn, I had to pay £30 for mine, several years ago). Both programs are very intuitive and easy to use. And you can move work between them - you can create a special effect image in DrawPlus and cut and paste it into PagePlus, for example. 

I started out using it at home like you want to do, for cards and so on. But when I started work for a youth club and they wanted me to design posters for their events, I just could not work out how to do things easily in Publisher. So I persuaded them to get Serif and it ended up with all the local youth clubs using it because it was so straightforward.

I hope this helps.

Nodette
  • Chloe_G
    Options
    Hi @Nodette

Thanks for your reply!  I will check out the Serif programs today - they sound really good.  I plan to stay indoors over the hot weather so will have plenty of time to test it out.

Thank you!
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Options
    Serif still exist they just abandoned their old programmes and switched to creating/selling Affinity software (Photo is image editing similar to Photoshop, Designer is for vector designs/digital painting, & Affinity Publisher is layout/desktop publishing) 

Main forum is only for the Affinity range but they'd got an offical thread re the Drawplus/PagePlus software
    https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/164377-information-about-the-legacy-plus-range/

Unofficial fan forum for the old software that Serif staff have given their blessing to
    https://punster.me/serif/
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Ally
    Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use Paint.NET.  It is bare bones but it is free and there are plenty of add-ons  :)
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • Chloe_G
    Options
    Yes, I've got paint.net - it's really good and I use it to create images.  The only thing I find awkward is laying out a card with the right dimensions/guidelines etc so it prints correctly on my printer.  Used Canva for my last card but whenever I download it seems to change the image size and I have to get around it by choosing fit to page when I print.
  • Ally
    Options
    @Chloe_G I've never actually tried printing from P.N, I usually send to word and print from there.
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

• Chloe_G
    Options
    I just find it doesn't size properly - I mean I set the size exactly but when it comes to printing and I have imported to Publisher or Word it seems to change it slightly so the images and text aren't centred.
  • Ally
    Options
    I create a canvas the same dimensions of a card then centre images/text on P.N then copy image over to word and resize there and print.  I usually print cards on A4 card then cut down to size once it's folded in half (into a card) ... hope that makes sense!

• Robm1955
    Robm1955 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Inkscape is a great free alternative, for creative design. Plus, there are loads of tutorials on YouTube.
  • Chloe_G
    Options
    I've got Inkscape - mainly use it for Tracing Bitmaps to smooth lines out.  I really wish I had more time to watch all the tutorials!  I just seem to constantly run out of time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback