My new flat has got two S numbers

dag_2
dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
I've just discovered that the flat I'm about to move into has got two S numbers.

After seeing this thread - now I'm worried that I won't be able to get a decent price on electricity.

So I guess I'll have to make a decision, on whether or not it's worth paying to switch to a single meter. That will depend on how long I think I'm likely to stay in the flat, and how much savings I can make by going to a single meter.

But who would I have to pay the charges to? The supplier? Or the local distribution company?

Also - would it be possible to drop to a single meter simply by getting one of the supplies disconnected?

At the moment, I have no idea how the two supplies are wired up. It might turn out that one of them is a landlord's or communal area supply. But that would surprise me, if the supply point address has got my flat number on it. At least I know not to sign the inventory off until I've got a reading off both meters.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
:p

Comments

• dag_2
    I've found out a bit more. It's apparently a Warmwise tariff, and there are four different rates. So, when I do the inventory check, I need to make sure I've got four meter readings, and I need to know which one is which.

I think Warmwise might also be known as Heatwise, Economy 10 or Economy 9. Or maybe these are slightly different to Warmwise, I'm not sure. But it's definitely different to Economy 7.

I guess I'll just have to play it by ear to start off with. Anyone else have any experience of this? Thanks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Not really any advice here, just to say, make sure you are only paying for the amount that you are using. i am having a right battle at the moment as i have two MPAN numbers linked to my address even though i only have one meter and the other house linked is in a seperate road. Make sure your supplier has the correct MPAN number linked to your account.
  • AMBATES
    AMBATES Posts: 12 Forumite
    Normally two MPANS are for another electric source like communal lighting. But if its a different property your suppiler should be able to break the MPAN down. You could always speak to MPAS but they often are not very helpful with no suppiler queries. I would just moan at your suppiler.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    AMBATES wrote:
    Normally two MPANS are for another electric source like communal lighting. But if its a different property your suppiler should be able to break the MPAN down. You could always speak to MPAS but they often are not very helpful with no suppiler queries. I would just moan at your suppiler.

Your right, i live in a house, with no communal lighting or anything that resembles it but your right MPAS was useless as far as putting right the error. I have had to move suppliers, but this time i have made sure they have the right meter point reference number. However, it still doesnt solve the problem.
  • AMBATES
    AMBATES Posts: 12 Forumite
    Tell your suppiler you have two MPANS, and that one of the MPANS is for a completely different property. If you have that address then even better. As a suppiler they should then break the MPAN off, which will mean they have to talk (argue) with MPAS.
  • dag_2
    Pleased you all mentioned that. I phoned up the supplier, and said that there were two MPAN's for the flat - and they were, like, 'No there aren't, we're sure there's only one.' - and back and forth a few times, and then they're saying 'Who told you that there are two MPANs?' And I say EDF energy. Then they say 'Hang on a moment, I'll just check something - Aha! It's probably on Warmwise then'.

By the way I've paraphrased - these aren't exact quotes. But it's funny how they changed their mind.

If I have to take one, two or four readings - I don't mind, as long as I know, so we can put it on the inventory sheet. It'll be difficult to get the inventory amended after I've already moved in.

Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family