Can you haggle with a dog breeder.

Options
So going on from my previous thread my partner is looking like she will go for a dog, question is the dogs seem to be very highly priced compared to others.

Not a issue but I have a query, can you go to a dog breeder and offer less than their asking price?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well of course you can! Whether you'll get anywhere is another matter ... AND I think if you are approaching a breeder, you need to know WHY they are prepared to accept a lower price. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 July 2022 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, she has called round the breeders home to see the pups and their mother, the breeder did have all the answers to the questions she was asked. Mother of the pups was a stunner and very well natured, however the seller is not on the KC registered breeder list for near us and is asking (in my opinion) a very high price.

Appreciate all the answers as I have no idea about buying pets apart from what you can gleam of the internet.
  • Claddagh_Noir
    Claddagh_Noir Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sheramber has posted some very valid and useful points. 

Hopefully your GF does plenty of research in puppy ownership and she braces herself for the puppy blues.  Regarding your previous post, I hope she has made provisions as to who will look after the dog if she is away or stopping over with you.

There are some unscrupulous backyard breeders out there because it is big money to them.  It was rife at the very start of the pandemic because everyone was stuck at home and thought it was a good idea to get a dog, but the novelty wore off when lockdown was lifted and the dogs developed behavioural problems such as separation anxiety or the owners could not be bothered anymore realising it isn't such a walk in the park - excuse the pun!!

It really is a minefield. I have seen many posts on a pet specific forum, the many issues people have. Someone got a puppy from their friend (there was an exchange of money - to me that is strange but to each his own!)  the pup then developed a load of life changing health problems within the first month of ownership!  There are people that advertise online their litter and then later claim that they have given the pup(s) away to someone else - this is while the pup was reserved with a paid deposit!  That is even if the puppies existed in the first place!

A decent and reputable breeder will do it for the love of the breed and will have full health checks for the mum and dad and then will later test the pups (I think).  They will also be documented. I do not think the pup should leave the litter no earlier than at 12 weeks old. 

If your GF has her heart set on a particular breed or cross-breed, she should do some research into possible insurance quotes. Some insurers will not touch certain breeds (mainly large breeds).

• jennystarpepper
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, she has called round the breeders home to see the pups and their mother, the breeder did have all the answers to the questions she was asked. Mother of the pups was a stunner and very well natured, however the seller is not on the KC registered breeder list for near us and is asking (in my opinion) a very high price.

Appreciate all the answers as I have no idea about buying pets apart from what you can gleam of the internet.
    Being on a KC list does not say the breeder is not good.  

Do you know anyone who has bought from this breeder or can they give a reference from people who have bought from them or the vet they use?
    MFW -  01 10 21. £63761 01.10.22 £50962 01.10.23 £39979

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's interesting you say the pups should stay with them for 12 weeks, this breeder is saying they will leave at 8 weeks.

Afraid I don't know of any other people who could act as a reference, and yep point taken about the KC club.
  • Claddagh_Noir
    Claddagh_Noir Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's interesting you say the pups should stay with them for 12 weeks, this breeder is saying they will leave at 8 weeks.

Afraid I don't know of any other people who could act as a reference, and yep point taken about the KC club.
    Oh no, I stand corrected. It is about 8 weeks.  There are so many numbers to deal with in regards to new pets! 🤦‍♀️😶
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All the rehoming centres round here are full with dogs that were bought during lock-down and aren't wanted any more.
    Giving one of those a forever home would be a lot cheaper and they will be old enough for their personality to be clear.
  • jennystarpepper
    Options

It is common for more professional breeders (ones who do this for money) to let pup's go asap. 

Does the seller have a Faceb00k page, maybe worth checking? You might want to look on FaceB00k again for this type of dog to see if a group is in you area, someone might know the breeder and also give tips about the dog.

Only thing I would have asked is, how many litters has the B (mum) had and who is the Sire as dog's who are too closely related should not mated.

As others have said you can run into problems without research, don't give up on the pup, just don't rush and wait for the next litter if unsure.

MFW -  01 10 21. £63761 01.10.22 £50962 01.10.23 £39979

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure