Just one question, does the search work

Does the search work, tried for a few comp sites and nothing has appeared.
I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus

Comments

• Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It tend to work okay if you type in the rarest word that should be in the post/title.

Select: discussion

Sort by: Newest

Category: Competition Time

I tend to untick Polls and Ideas.

Click filter.

I can't say I've searched a link in such a long time now, that is why I used to like this site, as could just search the link.
    People are encouraged to include the full link in their actual posts now though, instead of hiding it behind text or enter here etc.
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,176 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    @JamboDP - Can you give some examples of what you wanted to search for?

On the Forum Team we've been getting quite good at taming the search engine for our own use, so we might be able to offer some more pointers.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MSE_James said:
    @JamboDP - Can you give some examples of what you wanted to search for?

On the Forum Team we've been getting quite good at taming the search engine for our own use, so we might be able to offer some more pointers.
    I have been away from the forum for over 6 months and wondered if the search had improved while I was away.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • MSE_James
    If any compers would like to give examples of searches they would like to be able to do, please post them here as we may be able to offer some useful pointers.
  • I have been struggling with the search function also and it really puts me off using MSE as a comping board. For example, I like to search for a specific prize like gig tickets so might have previously typed 'The Vamps' and it would come up with all 'The Vamps' comps. Or I would have just typed 'Manchester' to get comps with prizes that were Manchester based, but now if I was to search Manchester it would bring up any time across the whole forum boards the word Manchester is used rather than just in the comps board.

It is incredibly frustrating as the comp boards used to be the best around. It has forced so many people to leave and not return.

It would be fabulous if it could go back to how it was.
  • MSE_James
    edited 25 July 2022 at 12:30PM
    Here's a search link for comps with The Vamps in the title (you can exclude subcategories to avoid seeing expired comps, but as there aren't any live comps containing that phrase right now it wouldn't return any results).

Here's a search for current comps on the main comps board mentioning Manchester, sorted by date.

Hope this gives an idea of what's possible. 

Happy to help anyone else build search queries to meet their particular needs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport