Not contacted as beneficiary, what to expect ?

13»

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tooldle said:
    tooldle said:
    tooldle said:
    If the house is for sale, who is selling it? If the executors are selling on behalf of the estate then distribution of assets can't have been finalised. I appreciate the sale could be secondary ie. being sold by a person who previously purchased if from the estate. 
    RAS said:
    If the house was up for sale 6-12 months ago, you probably need to check whether it's actually sold? Even if it has, there's no guarantee that the estate has been finalised if is includes things like stocks and shares.
    According to OP's first post, the solicitor they contacted confirmed that the house had been sold and the estate distributed

"So it turns out my other half is in the will (for a 4% share). We rung the solicitors involved who werent too happy to take her information to look into it but she did give away that money has all been paid out, house had been sold etc"
    It was the rest of the paragraph that lead me to question this, the bit you’ve not quoted that says ‘as far as they were aware’. Didn’t sound very definitive to me. 
    The part of the post you quoted actually said "so they considered it "case closed" on all matters as far as they [the solicitors]were aware", which does not appear to cast any doubt that the house was sold, simply that the solicitors were of the opinion there was nothing more for them to do. 
    Yes, as far as they were aware, leaving the potential for matters not to have been tied up and the house sale not completed. As the OP has not said who handled the sale, we as readers cannot be certain, hence my question. Doesn’t look like the OP will be back though.
    I believe you are overthinking this.

It is clear that the house has been sold and the money has been paid out, so as far as the solicitors were aware that was the end of the matter. In other words all matters of which the solicitors were aware have been settled. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Shelleypt
    Shelleypt Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Marcon said:
    Sounds like a case for making an application for Inventory and Account. See https://sintons.co.uk/personal-family-probate/inventory-and-account/ for an explanation of what this is - likely to be the best way forward if the solicitors don't come back with anything useful. 
    Thanks for this the site helped confirm a query I had.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback