RAC are beyond terrible now

Car broke down Saturday. Limped it home & rang the RAC.  Told ETA 90 minutes.  I then received a txt every 30 minutes telling me somebody would be there soon, until finally 6 hours later somebody turned up.  He had no idea what the fault was & said "it could be anything, ring a garage".

This morning I booked the car into a garage & rang the RAC requesting to be towed.  That was before 9am.  It's now 4.5 hours later and all I've had is a txt every 30 minutes telling me somebody would be here soon.

RAC blatantly don't have nearly enough staff now.  They still charge as much as ever but the service is unusable garbage.  Avoid them at all costs, a recovery service that literally takes all day is a pointless waste of money.

Comments

• hallmark
    hallmark Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Six hours later and still waiting.  If they don't arrive by 4pm it'll be too late as the garage shuts around 5pm.  Spent the day at home specifically to try to get this sorted, on top of spending Saturday at home waiting for the initial callout.

Absolutely beyond a joke.  If you belong to the RAC I highly recommend you renew with somebody else.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would imagine that, understandably, those at home are a lower priority than those stuck on the side of the road in a dangerous position.

You have no means of knowing if one of the rival services would have been better or worse on a particular day.

Equally, I wonder what would be the true economic cost of providing the sort of service everybody craves when they need it? Far more I suspect than most would be willing to pay.

Also, is the premium still the same for a new, high quality, well maintained car as it is for a barely legal old banger? Should it be?
  • hallmark
    edited 27 June 2022 at 3:27PM
    Over 6 hours isn't low priority, it's no service.  I'd be happy to wait 2-3 hours instead of within an hour like they claim. I've now been waiting nearly 7 hours.  This is following on from a 6 hour wait on Saturday.   The RAC might hide behind "getting to those most vulnerable" to try to justify delays but this is way beyond anything reasonable.

Regarding economic cost, are you suggesting that'd be "too expensive", so it's fine for them to charge less and not provide a service that's fit for purpose?

Still waiting and now looking more and more like I'll have to start this process again tomorrow as the garage will be shut.

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hallmark said:
    Over 6 hours isn't low priority, it's no service.  I'd be happy to wait 2-3 hours instead of within an hour like they claim. I've now been waiting nearly 7 hours.  This is following on from a 6 hour wait on Saturday.   The RAC might hide behind "getting to those most vulnerable" to try to justify delays but this is way beyond anything reasonable.

Regarding economic cost, are you suggesting that'd be "too expensive", so it's fine for them to charge less and not provide a service that's fit for purpose?

Still waiting and now looking more and more like I'll have to start this process again tomorrow as the garage will be shut.

No, I am not saying that. However it is similar to the endless moans you seen on here about parcel delivery services. Most people want to pay a guest house price but expect a Savoy style service every time.

I do wonder why the AA / RAC etc actually offer an at home service at all. I agree that if they do so it should be of an acceptable standard. However given that many other options are available to those at home, they should perhaps consider dropping that aspect of their service in the future and concentrate on roadside rescue. They should also in my view charge on a sliding scale depending on vehicle age. Not perfect, of course, but fairer overall.
  • hallmark
    How is it similar?  You're saying a perfectly reasonable complaint at a 6-hour wait followed by an even longer wait two days later (7 hours and counting) is just and "endless moan"?   With respect that's nonsense. No reasonable person would argue that this service is anything less than abysmal.

Even if they do turn up now it'll be too late as there isn't time to load up the car and have it towed to the garage before they shut.  So I've spent another day at home for nothing whatsoever, and now need to ring the garage to rearrange with them, then begin this process all over again with the RAC.

Disgusting way to treat people.

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I didn't think RAC offered "tow on demand" I thought if the car doesn't work, they tow it now and thats it?
  • hallmark
    jon81uk said:
    I didn't think RAC offered "tow on demand" I thought if the car doesn't work, they tow it now and thats it?
    The cover I have does provide it, they'll tow to a garage within 10 miles. Presumably because lots of callouts occur when garages are shut.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 June 2022 at 5:13PM
    Also, is the premium still the same for a new, high quality, well maintained car as it is for a barely legal old banger? Should it be?
    In the nine years I've had my about to be scrapped barely legal old banger I've used my breakdown service twice, both times as a passenger in friends newer cars. I've been with Autoaid for about 30 years and despite having cars most consider old bangers I've only called them once for a problem with my car.
    Should the premium be the same for drivers who cannot change a wheel or jump start a car? I'd happily have a £50 call out excess if the overall cost was reduced. Providers should offer a ncd.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    What kind of breakdown cover do you have?

I've been with the RAC, on and off, for several years. Always excellent service and always within an hour. So maybe things have gone downhill now but maybe you should have contacted them at the actual time and point of breakdown? Although you are covered for 'at home' breakdown, your car didn't actually break down there.

You say you 'limped it home'. Why on earth do that? You could have caused further damage. You obviously have a mobile phone as RAC were texting you so could have phoned them. When I broke down, I just had to give them my car reg number and didn't have to quote any membership numbers, although I do have their breakdown number and my membership number in my phone as well. 

The problem with your breakdown - which they need to tell you, because THAT'S where it's all gone haywire - is that yours ISN'T a breakdown at home. Their towing service is to either get you to a garage so that repairs can be carried out OR to tow you home. 

Now you're home, I guess they think it's up to you to get the car fixed. Unless it won't start - that's where the Home Start comes in but it's a different issue.

If you read the terms and conditions of your breakdown cover, it explains in detail.

Because you didn't actually break down at home. You broke down elsewhere and then 'limped home'. You actually did their job for them. Now if it won't start, that's the problem you need to report. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    hallmark said:
    jon81uk said:
    The cover I have does provide it, they'll tow to a garage within 10 miles. Presumably because lots of callouts occur when garages are shut.

But if you were on side of motorway they wouldn’t just leave the car, it would be towed to a repair centre or garage. So when you first broke down why didn’t they tow it then?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback