Virgin Media - 3 Hard searches added to credit report in 3 weeks!

Hi, looking for some advice on what to do next. 
I applied for virgin media broadband online 3 weeks ago, which at the check out stage asked for a credit check. Everything went through, due to some problems on their end with the details of the previous tenants of this property we moved into we have only now just been able to  get the box delivered and everything set up. Before this though I spoke with a supervisor who put my application through over the phone and again requested a credit check, I told her that one had already been done online and said it was a soft search but it had to be done, I told her it wasn't soft and I had a screenshot of it saying hard search. To which she said well I thought we did soft searches, which is laughable, how can you not know what your company does! Anyway, she said if we wanted internet there was no way around it so I reluctantly agreed since we need to be up and running asap. Now this morning, I have a total of 3 hard searches on my report, they added another! WTH! Virgin media! So I'm going to dispute them on my credit report on all three agencies but is there anything else I can do about this? 
Thanks forum

Comments

• K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    @mulevariations It might help to hold on for a few weeks.

The apps that you use to alert you of hard checks (Clearscore, CreditKarma, etc.) can often incorrectly notify you of multiple hard-checks when it's only one. I have this enquiry periodically from clients when I put in a full application and they get alerts for multiple hard checks. It always turns out to be just one hard-footprint credit check.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• sharry68
    sharry68 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've never been with Virgin media before. I've never had hard credit check for broadband in my life !!! I only wish I'd been told before I applied. My credit score has gone down from 907 to 765 because of them (and its definitely due to them as i have no other debt issues or applications for anything) and I didnt even go ahead as they made that many mistakes setting the acount up (multiple different monthly prices given, different set up dates etc) I cancelled a coule of days later so had no paperwork etc, their left and right hands don't know what they are doing, thank goodness I escaped to a decent provider. Surely they should by law tell someone that a hard search is being done on them ? on their website it only says they may do a credit check (not what type of check they will perform). I can't imagine what would happen if you were in the process of applying for mortgage, loan etc. I'm fuming !!
  • You haven’t read the sticky have you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 October 2022 at 6:08PM
    sharry68 said:
    I've never been with Virgin media before. I've never had hard credit check for broadband in my life !!! I only wish I'd been told before I applied. My credit score has gone down from 907 to 765 because of them (and its definitely due to them as i have no other debt issues or applications for anything) and I didnt even go ahead as they made that many mistakes setting the acount up (multiple different monthly prices given, different set up dates etc) I cancelled a coule of days later so had no paperwork etc, their left and right hands don't know what they are doing, thank goodness I escaped to a decent provider. Surely they should by law tell someone that a hard search is being done on them ? on their website it only says they may do a credit check (not what type of check they will perform). I can't imagine what would happen if you were in the process of applying for mortgage, loan etc. I'm fuming !!
    Your score is a gimmick, no-one but you ever sees it so don't worry about that nonsense. Complain to Virgin about the 3 hard searches though, should only be one. No, there is no law that says they have to give you warning they will do a hard search, it's obvious they would do one and it's in the Ts & Cs you agreed to. People would apply for an internet connection after they had mortgage sorted, no-one would be applying for it while applying for a mortgage and a single application for broadband while applying for a loan wouldn't make any difference
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback