Kitchen reno, rewire and gas works

Hi all,

I was been quoted 11k for a complete rewire, gas works, kitchen fitting, new sockets, spotlights etc. I cant help but think this is a bit too much?

They said something about labir cksts and paying their wages etc but not sure if this is still too much?

The house is old 1930s

Apprecite any advice on this 

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Does that include the supply of the kitchen & other materials ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • fenwick458
    fenwick458 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    £11,000 is a lot of money, do you not think the quote should include more than 10 words? 
    your quote may be slightly more detailed but all you've mentioned is 10 words, so don't expect anyone to give you any useful input based on 10 words, a price, and not seeing the job...
    but to be honest I've been doing jobs for a kitchen company for 10 years and the average price is £10-15k for a kitchen reno all inclusive so I don't think it's bad at all, but you should at least have a bit more than 10 words on a quote and a figure
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 June 2022 at 7:28PM
    Probably too cheap if it's a complete rewire plus new kitchen plus whatever gas works.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Cheers both for your replies.

Its a difficult one really because I havent been given a precise breakdown of cost of all the work that needs to be done.

I have already paid for the kitchen out of my own wallet. The old kitchen will be removed, complete rewire of the house, gas works, plumbing in the kitchen, fitting of the kitchen (that I have already bought from wrens), new sockets, spotlights in the kitchen and sensored lights in my front garden is all I have to go on right now. The quote does include the prices of materials needed. This is not including the plastering required in the kitchen.

I have seen their quality of work on my mums house and I was impressed but i still dont want to be paying more than I should. Could it be more because they are doing it all themselves? Or is this generally a standard quote for this type if work
  • £11,000 is a lot of money, do you not think the quote should include more than 10 words? 
    your quote may be slightly more detailed but all you've mentioned is 10 words, so don't expect anyone to give you any useful input based on 10 words, a price, and not seeing the job...
    but to be honest I've been doing jobs for a kitchen company for 10 years and the average price is £10-15k for a kitchen reno all inclusive so I don't think it's bad at all, but you should at least have a bit more than 10 words on a quote and a figure
    What's your thoughts? 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    How long do they say it will take?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • How long do they say it will take?
    About 2.5 - 3 weeks
  • Okey00001
    Okey00001 Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 July 2022 at 11:43AM
    £11,000 is about right as there is a lot of renovation work to do , especially rewiring eletrics, etc have to be certified with current standards.
    How much were your kitchen cabinets?  I think you need to add both your kitchen furniture along with the renewing, replacing and fitting kitchen in to give you an overall idea.
    For the full pack - kitchen cabinets, cooker, etc + labour to renovate - will also depend on the size of the kitchen. We were given a quote to completely renovate a small kitchen which included absolutely everything - £23,000.  Prices have gone up due to shipment costs, lack of labourers, etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback