We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I reclaim court fees £275 if I succesfully have a CCJ set aside?

Options
Hi

I had an alert on my credit file last night and found a CCJ on there from the 14th June 22.
A little digging around this morning and I've discovered that it was for a parking charge that I paid previously and have evidence and correspondence that confirms this was paid by the deadline.

The total cost of the CCJ was £289. I've already paid the £60 charge.

I spoke to the county court and they informed me that to have a CCJ set aside it will cost me £275?!!!!

I asked them, that if I was confident that I could show the court that the CCJ was issued wrongly could I claim the £275 back from the claimant? The agent for the court told me she couldn't advise on that.

Can I claim the £275 back if my case is strong?

Thanks

Comments

• Haggis8383
    Haggis8383 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I should have added, that the reason I did not receive any notice re: court proceedings was that I had moved address. As far as I understand it, it's only my duty to inform companies of my new address if I have outstanding debts with them.
  • Haggis8383
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry, also should have added.

I have spoken with the solicitors QDR and explained to the agent the situation and forwarded them proof of payment, correspondence so I'm hoping that they will sort it quickly but I understand time is of the essence if I want this to disappear from my credit file.

The agent was ridiculous fwiw. Kept repeating the words "enforcement action" "CCJ has been issued". It's like they are trained to wind you up.
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I expect you'll get plenty of responses if you ask your question here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/parking-tickets-fines-parking
    it's a very active sub-forum...
  • Haggis8383
    First Post
    Options
    I expect you'll get plenty of responses if you ask your question here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/parking-tickets-fines-parking
    it's a very active sub-forum...

Appreciate it, I'll stick it in there instead.
  • longjohnjohnson
    Options
    You can't reclaim fees for a set-aside notice.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The response from the repost on the parking board has been a typically assertive all-guns-blazing recommendation to pursue the company vigorously, not just for costs but damages, etc, too!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6367747/ccj-for-parking-fine-which-i-paid
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,354 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    The response from the repost on the parking board has been a typically assertive all-guns-blazing recommendation to pursue the company vigorously, not just for costs but damages, etc, too!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6367747/ccj-for-parking-fine-which-i-paid
    I agree, ruining someone's credit file over a parking charge notice is pretty low ball, especially when you think it`s effects will last 6 years.

Add to that the fact the guy had actually paid the fine on time as well, he should counterclaim and take them to the cleaners.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • longjohnjohnson
    Options
    eskbanker said:

They're not exactly impartial though, nor particularly knowledgeable outside of the very specific remit of parking charge claims.
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I should have added, that the reason I did not receive any notice re: court proceedings was that I had moved address. As far as I understand it, it's only my duty to inform companies of my new address if I have outstanding debts with them.
    No. It's your legal duty to inform DVLA of change of address (for your driving licence and car registration). This is the source from which the parking company would have found the address to issue the proceedings. When I say it's your legal duty I mean that it's an offence not to do so, for which you could be fined. OK, that doesn't often happen, but your situation is common. I never understand why people don't notify DVLA of change of address straight away.
  • Haggis8383
    First Post
    Options
    etienneg said:
    No. It's your legal duty to inform DVLA of change of address (for your driving licence and car registration). This is the source from which the parking company would have found the address to issue the proceedings. When I say it's your legal duty I mean that it's an offence not to do so, for which you could be fined. OK, that doesn't often happen, but your situation is common. I never understand why people don't notify DVLA of change of address straight away.

The parking charge was issued to the correct address.
    I moved address.
    I paid the charge while at my new address.

The issue isn't not receiving the parking charge.
    The issue is them messing up and continuing with court proceedings for a charge which was paid already after I'd left the address and updated my DVLA records.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback