Should I go to University as a mature student

Hi everyone. A while back I posted a thread asking the broad question of whether I should go to University or not. Long story short, I now must decide whether I should do an Access to HE Diploma and then head to University, or simply look for a job. In this current climate (pun intended :D ) I'm having mixed feelings. On one hand, I imagine that heading to University would be a good idea. On the other, I don't think it would be. How should I decide?

I'm 25 this year but still live with my parents. I don't want them burdened with having to potentially pay my way, especially given that my father is going to retire in about 3 years time. I also don't want to burden myself given that I hope to foster some kids and maybe start a family.

I would like to ideally work as a Diplomat, but have a criminal record which may pose a barrier, especially if certain countries might refuse to let me in as a result. I have now rehabilitated and believe them to be spent to the very best of my knowledge. I am happy to get a Basic DBS check done before making the decision to confirm this. Failing that I'd love to do a Law degree then search for work in the US, or Australia. This is because it is highly unlikely that I could get a job in the legal sector here.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,496
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
     You need criminal records checks for both USA and Australian resident visas! 
     And again to register with the appropriate regulated body. 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,951
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 June 2022 at 3:51PM
    Honestly if you want to be a diplomat then the lack of a uni degree and the criminal record will probably be a very substantial barrier - it's hugely competitive to get that type of role.  A criminal record may also bar you from a career in law or finance (depending on what it is). (And it may bar you from fostering)

Becoming a diplomat is a career, not something you just decide you fancy doing one day, like for example becoming a dog walker, or getting a job in a supermarket - do you speak multiple languages fluently? Have top A'level results? 

Roles as diplomats also require extensive background checks... forget basic DBS it will be much, much more intrusive.
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2022 at 9:21AM
    Emmia said:
    Honestly if you want to be a diplomat then the lack of a uni degree and the criminal record will probably be a very substantial barrier - it's hugely competitive to get that type of role.  A criminal record may also bar you from a career in law or finance (depending on what it is). (And it may bar you from fostering)

Becoming a diplomat is a career, not something you just decide you fancy doing one day, like for example becoming a dog walker, or getting a job in a supermarket - do you speak multiple languages fluently? Have top A'level results? 

Roles as diplomats also require extensive background checks... forget basic DBS it will be much, much more intrusive.
    In which case, you're right. Forget about that.

How about I do a degree in the hopes of becoming a lawyer or something else? I'm not sure if my record would be a bar to becoming a lawyer, but the only way of finding out for sure is doing a Law degree and applying for the postgraduate course then applying to be called to the bar or become a solicitor. Since I doubt I'd make the latter (and it doesn't appeal to me anyway), I'll try the former option.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Kiko4564 said:
    I'm not sure if my record would be a bar to becoming a lawyer, but the only way of finding out for sure is doing a Law degree and applying for the postgraduate course then applying to be called to the bar or become a solicitor. Since I doubt I'd make the latter (and it doesn't appeal to me anyway), I'll try the former option.
    That really isn't the only way of finding out. 

Presumably you know what your offence was, what age you were at the time and if you were tried as an adult/minor, and what punishment you were given. Its then not hard to know how it will be considered in the future for your proposed plans
  • Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sandtree said:
    Kiko4564 said:
    I'm not sure if my record would be a bar to becoming a lawyer, but the only way of finding out for sure is doing a Law degree and applying for the postgraduate course then applying to be called to the bar or become a solicitor. Since I doubt I'd make the latter (and it doesn't appeal to me anyway), I'll try the former option.
    That really isn't the only way of finding out. 

Presumably you know what your offence was, what age you were at the time and if you were tried as an adult/minor, and what punishment you were given. Its then not hard to know how it will be considered in the future for your proposed plans
    Yeah but I'd rather not discuss this matter on a public forum since I fear that someone will out me i.e. reveal who I am in real life. Can you please advise me how I can find out?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,742
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback