dirty solar panels, warm weather, lower power output?

Options

Comments

• ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to throw spanner in the works 
    1. July 10th Max 27 Min 15 C during day light hours 

2. July 11th Max 30 Min 17 C (during daylight hours 

Looks like it's all over the place but maybe healthy panels produce less output 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • Mikeyboy01443
    Options
    I like that level of monitoring 🙂 but whats the deal with those 2 panels
  • ispookie666
    edited 12 July 2022 at 7:57PM
    Options
    @Mikeyboy01443 one of the panels went kaput last year and the other this April. Degredation is what I think. It's an Enphase system with submodule 250w mono black panels installed 2015. Not financially viable to replace them. 

System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • Mikeyboy01443
    Options
    No? My 390w panels were about 140 quid each - could you not upgrade them bit by bit adding more power? Or are you limited by the inverter?
    Also if they are only approx 7 years old wouldn't they be under warranty if they have lost that much generation power?
    Assume enphase is the inverter? Sorry not familiar with all the makes, solar newbie here
  • ispookie666
    edited 13 July 2022 at 7:07AM
    Options
    The panel warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. 
    I'll have to shell out scaffolding cost and the installer has shut shop.  I'm not sure the sequence of inverters/panels are correctly replicated. 

Add to this the complexity of FiT scheme and any change in panel size having a material impact. 

Finally, seeing how busy the installers are, not in a million years they will touch this. 

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think I'm seeing the effect of dusty panels, especially at low light, I've read it can reduce efficiency by up to 20%!
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pretty sure mine are affected by dust and bits of straw.

Bought the house because of the lovely view of fields and woods, never considered the muck and dust the farmer would send our way. At least it's only a few times a year.

Bring on the storms!! Did someone say Tuesday?
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Pulpdiction
    Pulpdiction Posts: 228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's something in this, my system @ 3.5kw is generating around 2.6kw maximum and I've never cleaned he panels or even thought about doing so, I leave it to the rain.  However having completed 7 full years of solar generation I am noticing the regular 3.2kw generation is now very few and far between and usually it is on days with some cloud, not totally clear skies when temperatures are around 19/20 degrees.

Now a clean wouldn't hurt but I'm certainly starting to experience some slight degradation I think.  But my highest producing month has always been May - on average.  
    Having posted the above I'm backtracking a bit now.  For the last few days I've seen my panels peaking at 3,300 and for about a minute the other day, not quite sure how this happened, but my inverter was reading over 3,600, not quite sure how as the panels are only 3.5kw in total.... but it was arounf 3,500 and then 3,600 for over 5 mins.... not sure if I should be slightly concerned as I've never seen the panels read above 3,340ish ever before in 7 years....
  • ispookie666
    edited 20 July 2022 at 10:20AM
    Options

Panel level generation on the hottest day since install. Panel output for the damaged/degraded ones are seeing a significant drop compared to the unaffected ones. Nearly 2.4kWh lost generation. 

• EcoScruples
    EcoScruples Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 July 2022 at 10:56AM
    Options
    I've been monitoring the last couple of weeks whilst the panels have had that horrible orange dust and dirt on them. No rain in that period here until last night and it wasn't that much, just a few showers.
    Before last night the panels were doing about 3.8kwp 
    Today they're doing 4.2kwp
    So no cleaning by myself but he rain has definitely improved output.

I only get that much when my battery needs it though.
    4.3kwp JA panels, Huawei 3.68kw Hybrid inverter, Huawei 10kw Lunar 2000 battery, Myenergi eddi, South facing array with a 15 degree roof pitch, winter shade.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback