dirty solar panels, warm weather, lower power output?

Comments

• same, my highest generation was in May got 38.3 on the 27th, second highest yesterday was 37.7. but in terms of peak output, on the 20th of May (at 12:45) i hit 7245w of generation, but on the highest production day in may (27th) my peak power was 5.7, but it was a much steadier and more consistent production curve...the following day looked a bit 'spiky' in the afternoon but i hit higher peaks then (7kw) so points to the cloud edge effect then? looking over my production for the last month or so, there is definitely a difference of days where it is obviously clear skies against cloudy days where there are peaks and troughs...

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just used an infrared gun on my South facing panels, not as hot as I would have thought at 52.4c and that's having been in the full sun all morning. 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Spies said:
    Just used an infrared gun on my South facing panels, not as hot as I would have thought at 52.4c and that's having been in the full sun all morning. 
    It would be very interesting if anyone is able to investigate the effect of water cooling of a panel in terms of output. From what was said above - ideally in a soft water area within reach of a hose pipe. It would be nice to do a like-for-like comparison e.g between a cooled panel and an un-cooled control panel so optimises would be useful.    
  • Spies
    Spies said:
    It would be very interesting if anyone is able to investigate the effect of water cooling of a panel in terms of output. From what was said above - ideally in a soft water area within reach of a hose pipe. It would be nice to do a like-for-like comparison e.g between a cooled panel and an un-cooled control panel so optimises would be useful.    
    Just be careful of thermal shock!
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A bit from pv magazine about water cooling and the effect it has.
    Cooling down PV panels with water – pv magazine International (pv-magazine.com)
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Spies said:
    I think this came up a couple of years ago in discussion. (Martyn, no doubt, will remember better than me).  My poor memory tells me that someone did try it and noticed little difference. (Sadly) 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • gefnew said:
    A bit from pv magazine about water cooling and the effect it has.
    Cooling down PV panels with water – pv magazine International (pv-magazine.com)
    Cool. Thanks. 
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 June 2022 at 8:15PM
    i  did read that  one  company was looking in to dual use panels solar pv and  thermal integrated  which would have  the cooling effect and provide hot  water i don't know if it ever came to market
  • Spies
    paul991 said:
    i  did read hat  one  company was looking in to dual use panels solar pv and  thermal integrated  which would have  the cooling effect and provide hot  water i dont know if it ever came to market
    Certainly available in the US as Linus from Linus tech tips has some with water cooling. 
  • paul991 said:
    i  did read that  one  company was looking in to dual use panels solar pv and  thermal integrated  which would have  the cooling effect and provide hot  water i don't know if it ever came to market
    What a good idea! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure