We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Orchids

2»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Any tips for helping them to flower again? The leaves on mine look happy enough but no sign of any more flowers, 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppy811
    poppy811 Posts: 540
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    small new leaves appearing at the base of the plant.  I think the cooler conditions have saved it.  Thank you all
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have put my orchids on a diet based on the comments above, and I'll find something I can put them on to be able to remove the pottery jars and give the roots some light. One of them has been re-potted into a pot, so I'll have to try to find something transparent to transfer it to. They've lasted quite well, considering how wrongly I've been treating them.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The pot the clear pot is stood in doesn’t need to be transparent. The tendril are roots and shouldn’t be cut off unless they have turned brown! They don’t like much water, If you look at the roots in the pot and they are green that’s a good sign.I only water when I remember, don’t repot too much if at all.  Mine thrive best in the bathroom they love the moist air more than direct water. So a spray mist if in a drier room. Only cut back the flowering stem if it turns brown .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    wort said:
    The pot the clear pot is stood in doesn’t need to be transparent. The tendril are roots and shouldn’t be cut off unless they have turned brown! They don’t like much water, If you look at the roots in the pot and they are green that’s a good sign.I only water when I remember, don’t repot too much if at all.  Mine thrive best in the bathroom they love the moist air more than direct water. So a spray mist if in a drier room. Only cut back the flowering stem if it turns brown .
    Thanks for that. I did take two of them out of the pots, but they're really top-heavy so I think I'll put them back in, or maybe find some bigger pots to have a bit more space around. No room in the bathroom unfortunately, in fact most of the places I can put them are in direct sunlight at one end of the day or the other.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you think about it they grow in the tropics on trees.
    So semi shade, occasional torrential downpours and aerial roots that make food from light.
    To keep mine upright in the clear pot I stand them on a small bowl of decorative pebbles. If it's very hot I put some water on the pebbles to create  moisture in the air.
    Glad it's going well.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,345
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I stick mine in a bowl of feed and water for 15 mins once a week
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • poppy811
    poppy811 Posts: 540
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just to say thank you for all the advice, much healthier looking orchid
  • Once a week fully submerge your orchid pot (roots) in a bowl/bucket of water for 45mins then leave to drain.

A Royal Botanical Kew gardener gave me this advice at their orchid festival. It's worked wonders so far. Already got a second flowering on 3 different plants in 5 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback