Reusing Train Booked for 21st

Options
Hello all,

I have not seen this covered anywhere so maybe someone will know.

My son has a train ticket booked for today (21st) for which the train is not running. Its not the end of the world for him as he can stay overnight where he is and travel tomorrow. He has been to the station and they have told him that he can use his ticket tomorrow (22nd) but he has to travel on the exact same train just 24 hours later.

Can this be right and is it actually stated anywhere? I have seen that train tickets can be used until the 28th (or something like that) but he has a late afternoon ticket and does not want to wait around all day for the train which he could not originally get due to the strike.

Can anyone point me to any details of what you are allowed to do regarding an existing ticket booked for a strike day?

TIA

Comments

• pauledwards
    Options
    To try and help others and answer my own question.

Apparently his ticket is an Advanced Saver. He has been told that he can catch the train before his originally booked one, his booked one, or the train after (just 24 hours later). I am sure I have also seen this written down somewhere.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In practice, I suggest that he goes to the platform when he wants to travel and looks for the train manager. Train managers have discretion to allow people in positions like this to travel and if the train is not too busy I expect he will be allowed to do so.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 June 2022 at 3:36AM
    Options
    It depends which train company is running the train.
    Check on the website of whichever company it is, should be info on there.
    I travelled Wed (ticket booked for Thur) and the train company I travelled with allowed me to either cancel or use the ticket on any day the train is running up to this Sat. (Arriva Wales)
    HTH

Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback