We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Amazon - Is there really any point in postage instructions?

Options
2»

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    custardy said:
    Thought this was the original thread.

Except it wasn't. It was just another thread.
    But I do appreciate some MSEers like to go rooting through past posts.

custardy said:
    You seem to think couriers are clocking off at 5pm.......
    No, I seem to think courier drivers don't give a toss (granted not all but many).
    I seem to think delivery drivers in general don't give a toss (granted not all but many).

I only have 100 or so delivery drivers I've worked with to base this on so I could be wrong. Doubt it.

sheramber said:
     According to my Google timeline I left the address at 2:50.

My mother heads out of the house at 3:15 but by that point my sister has landed back.

As I get home I get an email notification saying attempted delivery at 2:57.

No you didn't!

How do you know he didn't try to deliver at 2.57 since you had already left?

Your mother didn't arrive until 3.15- a while after 2.57>

When did your sister arrive?
    Excuse me?

Have a read of my OP again & see if you come to the same conclusion that you just did.

mksysb said:
    Don't use what3words, just put you latitude and longitude in instead, that's universal. will work in any satnav and mapping apps.

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

Thanks.
    That's something I'll look at for sure and makes more sense.

Though since the instructions were not printed on the label, I suspect even that wouldn't be on there.

Can only do your bit though I suppose.

jon81uk said:
    Drivers are expected to deliver one package every few minutes. They don’t have time to faff about with a proprietary app entering three words to try and find you.
    What3Words is not a useful thing as it relies having their own app. 

If you get a lot of lost deliveries might be worth looking at better signage or getting a number instead of a name.

Actually don't get a "lot" (obviously depends on your opinion of what "lot" is. 1 could be a lot to some). If I said that in the OP then I'll have to slap my wrist as that's not right.

But it does happen. UPS were bad as The Thread Hunter has highlighted with his link.

Royal Mail are ok and the usual courier guys (DPD usually) are decent. Must be the same driver every time unless they only employ drivers called Steve.

But it does happen.

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy said:

custardy said:
    No, I seem to think courier drivers don't give a toss (granted not all but many).
    I seem to think delivery drivers in general don't give a toss (granted not all but many).

I only have 100 or so delivery drivers I've worked with to base this on so I could be wrong. Doubt it.

sheramber said:

My mother heads out of the house at 3:15 but by that point my sister has landed back.

No you didn't!

Excuse me?

Have a read of my OP again & see if you come to the same conclusion that you just did.

mksysb said:
    Don't use what3words, just put you latitude and longitude in instead, that's universal. will work in any satnav and mapping apps.

Thanks.

Though since the instructions were not printed on the label, I suspect even that wouldn't be on there.

jon81uk said:
    Drivers are expected to deliver one package every few minutes. They don’t have time to faff about with a proprietary app entering three words to try and find you.

If you get a lot of lost deliveries might be worth looking at better signage or getting a number instead of a name.

Actually don't get a "lot" (obviously depends on your opinion of what "lot" is. 1 could be a lot to some). If I said that in the OP then I'll have to slap my wrist as that's not right.

But it does happen. UPS were bad as The Thread Hunter has highlighted with his link.

Royal Mail are ok and the usual courier guys (DPD usually) are decent. Must be the same driver every time unless they only employ drivers called Steve.

But it does happen.

Given I replied to the original and it was only 3 weeks ago
    I hardly had to go rooting.
    The point stands. 
    Couriers are one size fits most. If you have frequent issues then you need to mitigate the cause.
    You have 2 threads where you refer to W3W. Kinda like its not the answer for you?
    They wont change their delivery model for you.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    custardy said:
    Given I replied to the original and it was only 3 weeks ago
    I hardly had to go rooting.
    The point stands. 
    Couriers are one size fits most. If you have frequent issues then you need to mitigate the cause.
    You have 2 threads where you refer to W3W. Kinda like its not the answer for you?
    They wont change their delivery model for you.
    * 3 weeks in a rant forum could be 5 pages back, so it's still going rooting.
    So the point stands.

* What does it matter if I have 200 threads referring to W3W?
    One thread mentioning UPS wanting me to give directions to the house by using a tree or a hedge as a reference point (one delivery)
    The other thread mentioning Amazon themselves lying about an attempted delivery (different delivery).
    Yes both mentioned W3W, big deal. Separate cases.

* And did I say they would?
  • longjohnjohnson
    Options
    custardy said:

custardy said:

sheramber said:

No you didn't!

Excuse me?

mksysb said:

Thanks.

jon81uk said:

But it does happen.

Delivery drivers are not paid enough to care about delivering to obscure addresses.

If this is a problem for you, move.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Delivery drivers are not paid enough

This is what I say to my boss when they expect me to go above & beyond by an absolute mile for peanuts.

The response starts out with I don't give a. I'll let you imagine the rest.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback