House insurance - moving house

I am moving house in 3 months and my house insurance is about to renew, is anyone aware of an insurance company that will give me a refund for the unused months of cover? Transferring is not an option as I will be living with parents so not requiring house insurance. Thanks


  • user1977user1977 Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It's pretty standard for insurers to give you a pro rata refund if you cancel (minus an admin charge) - doesn't your current insurer do that?
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    You'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't as long as you haven't made a claim. Unlike Car insurance they also tend to have more straightforward ways of calculating the refund too (no switch to temp rates).

    The real question is what fees are payable, some are fee free, some (particularly brokers) may have multiple fees that may eat up most/all of the return premium. 

    Generally its better to see which insurers are giving you the cover/price balance you want and then double check the fees before deciding which to go for... no point rejecting the £160 premium because of a £25 cancellation fee and taking the £600 premium because its fee free to cancel.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin and MSE campaign win

April's 20% energy price guarantee hike postponed

MSE News

Childcare budget boost

More support for children from nine months and those on Universal Credit

MSE News

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools