We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Potatoes

fifi35
fifi35 Posts: 228 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,  lots of potato plants have appeared in my raised bed.  They must be unleft tubers from last year or some that maybe was in the compost.  Anyway, they have totally taken over my raised bed.  Can I chop the stems and leaves down to give some of my other veg room to breath or should I just pull some of the potato plants up before they are read and throw them away.
Grocery Challenge 2018
Jan £170/£125, Feb £131.80/£125

Comments

• goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    AFAIK potato plants don't need all of their lower leaves and you can keep earthing them up to promote more root development so I suggest you try trimming off all but the topmost crown from two or three to let the light get to your other plants, if the spuds survive then trim the others too.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • AFAIK potato plants don't need all of their lower leaves and you can keep earthing them up to promote more root development so I suggest you try trimming off all but the topmost crown from two or three to let the light get to your other plants, if the spuds survive then trim the others too.

Apparently the earthing up thing doesn't really work, though it is a widely propagated myth! (see https://www.cultivariable.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-indeterminate-potatoes/?fbclid=IwAR0ndSgwFIxTz4SpuLPjtksVSf5RVwwbd1CTwoOjZc6glN2T0BkjbXHofkg) - just stops tubers going green. Plus, if you cut the leaves off you'll reduce any energy going to the tubers, so will get a reduced crop - so the worst of both worlds... @fifi35 do you know what the potatoes you grew before were? - if earlies they might be ready to harvest quite soon anyhow... Whether to pull up now or not depends how much you'd like a bonus crop or not want to risk damaging whatever else you're growing there...

• fifi35
    fifi35 Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi thank you for the info.  I'm not sure what the tubers are.  They haven't flowered yet.  I guess I'll just leave them and see what happens.
    Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan £170/£125, Feb £131.80/£125
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've also got loads of these. I cleared the vegetable patch "thoroughly" and then planted three rows of potatoes, two of onions and lettuce, and pretty much the entire patch is covered in potato plants. I've got four or five lettuce, and no onions (other than the ones growing between two paving stones). I wouldn't mind so much, but I don't really want a lot of potatoes, to the extent that I've no idea why I planted even the three rows that I did. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback