Orange Home Phone & BT

Options
I rent my line from BT and use the Orange Home Starter package which allows me free calls in the evenings and at weekends. I wish to connect via BT just enough to qualify for free caller display (2 calls per month). I have made a few calls prefixed with 1280, but they are not showing up on my BT account calls list. I phoned Orange and have been told that it is not possible to do this using their system - calls can only be routed through that. Can anyone confirm this? If it is the case that 1280 won't work, is there perhaps another access number for BT?
Thanks
Graham

Comments

• diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Orange Home Starter should allow 1280, Orange are your call carrier & BT your line operator

if Orange are completely barring you 1280 access call BT, ask them if there are calls you know you routed via 1280 on your account & if not ask them to investigate Orange permantly barring you access to BT network on 1280 - because they CANT unless Orange are your line operator
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • molly_mandy_2
    Options
    I have the same thing with BT & Orange & it became a nightmare when Orange took over everything.

BT finally sorted it for me. There is a number to avoid Orange and for calls to go via BT but I've forgotten it - sorry, but I now use another number.

Ring BT customer services 0800 800 150 and ask for Customer Options. They will give you the prefix number for calls to avoid Orange.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    dolan46 wrote: »
    I phoned Orange and have been told that it is not possible to do this using their system - calls can only be routed through that.
    That's nonsense. Using a CPS calls provider means the BT exchange has been programmed to by default route all your calls via that provider (in your case, Orange). The 1280 prefix is the standard one which overrides that programming for an individual call and allows that call to be sent via the BT network.

If you are using Orange as your CPS provider (as seems to be the case as you say you are paying line rental - presumably BT Together Option 1 @ £10.50 or £11 per month - to BT), the 1280 prefix should force an individual call back onto BT and Orange cannot prevent that happening. Are the calls you have been using the 1280 prefix on chargeable calls? Calls to freephone numbers don't appear on your BT 'Recent Calls' list and don't qualify anyway.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    As well as using 1280 to hop back to BT,its worth noting you can also use www.18185.co.uk to get cheaper peak geographical,mobile,ngn,intl ,calls then Orange offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure