Cat has started urinating on bedding

Options
cheeky-peach
cheeky-peach Posts: 327 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 8 June 2022 at 4:06PM in Pets & pet care
Hi all,

We have two cats and one of them has started weeing on our bed. I've taken her to the vets and the vet gave her a clean bill of health and suggested it be behavioural. I've purchased Feliway and noticed zero difference, and added some litter trays indoors when she was previously going outside (she is using these now but it still hasn't stopped her. I've had to take 2 duvets for laundering at quite a hefty cost and cannot afford to keep re-living the same thing each day. We are now at the point where all doors are kept closed but surely this isn't fair on anyone. She's even wee'd whilst hubby has been in bed so it's not even a secret!! Desperate to help her in any way we can... but we don't know what else to do. Since we had her two years ago, she has always been a nervous cat and will only come to us "on her terms". Nothing has really changed recently such as patterns in household day to day etc and the Vet queried these anyway. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You could try another Vet for a second opinion, and look for a cat behaviourist.

Perhaps something has changed from the cats perspective, but you yourself aren't able to see it. 
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/5-reasons-your-cat-peeing-bed

May ormay notbe helpful.  The last pieceof advice about making cat associate bed with play, treats sounds promising.

Google is awash with cat peeing on bed advice.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,359 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Did the vet check blood sugar levels?  We've had 2 different cats that have done this and both turned out to be diabetic.  It was in fact the first thing i thought of when the second cat started to have issues. Basically - like people with untreated diabetes a cat can have sudden and very urgent need to pee and so will just do it wherever they are.  Being generally tidy animals they may look for someplace appropriate - my OH's slippers were a frequent target at first.  

Daily insulin injections sorted it for the most part.  Also a good diet.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • SensibleSarah
    SensibleSarah Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are the litter trays all in the same place? Only reason I ask is because I used to have several cats and didn't realise for a while that one of them was being bullied by one of the others - she was literally being blocked from using the litter trays or getting to food and water by the other cat. It was only resolved by setting up several different food stations, water bowls and litter trays in various parts of the house so it wasn't possible for the bully cat to block her from more than one at once. 
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2022 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Are the litter trays adequately cleaned (to the cat's standards)?
    Whilst our eldest boy has had an accident other bed (we believe genuine), his sister (and now pack leader) has urinated other bed twice as a wayof telling us she was unhappy with the condition of the litter trays.
    She gives a warning by peeing on the roof first (our trays ate enclosed) and then pees on the bed.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    While you are exploring all the issues, is it worth buying 2-4 cheap / thin duvets (depending on how warm you like to be!) which you can wash and dry at home? Also you can get duvet protectors like mattress protectors - not necessarily waterproof but might repel most of it? - for use under the duvet cover. 

Also - and this is a bit thinking aloud here - have you changed detergent / fabric conditioner, and if not would that be worth a try? I know when they've found a spot they like, you need to really get the smell out, and that smell may not be discernible to a mere human nose, so just wondering if that's worth a try, possibly using white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner (you may not use it anyway).
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure