You can request a copy of any restaurant/takeaway inspection report from your local council.

This is a warning with a side-order of vent. A takeaway near me started doing a type of food I've been dying to try and the food was pretty good. Not, I suspect absolutely authentic but still good. Then someone pointed out it had a 1 out of 5 hygiene rating, which gave me second thoughts. The restaurant replied to the comment where this had been revealed, saying it was something to do with the takeaway being refitted.

So I looked into it and while someone people may know about this, I discovered that under freedom of information you can request a copy of a food inspection report. Maybe this is common knowledge but it was news to me so I figure some people might not know this. For me, I followed a link from my local council website, explained briefly why I got it and a few weeks later it arrived as a PDF.

It was nightmare fuel - the can opener was crusted with old food, the tops were covered with lino which had dirt underneath, a beer fridge was being used for food, no-one there had a food hygiene certificate etc. I'm not going to be eating there again (yes, the 1 out of 5 should have been enough but I wanted details) 

So, if you want to find out exactly how a restaurant/takeaway's inspection went, you should be able to get a copy. Not all councils have a proper form on their website but if you email your local environmental health agency and explain you want the report under the freedom of information act, they should send you a copy. Just be prepared for a surprise or two. 

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,125
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Also be prepared to have to pay for it - not all agencies will do this for free.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,275
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My local council uploads them all onto a website for everyone to see
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    JCS1 said:
    My local council uploads them all onto a website for everyone to see
    Yup, ours is the same. In fact some of the restaurants provide the reports too, well if it’s a good report.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,476
    Forumite
    How many food outlets have the 5 star stickers on display and yet no longer have 5 stars?  Had a funny tum after eating
    out and thought lets check their rating. It had dropped to 3 stars even though they had their 5 star sticker on the window
    as you enter.

Wonder how often that is checked?

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,793
    Forumite
    All the ratings should be on here. 

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/default/en-GB

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts