8m puppy broke my phone when I went to the loo - Would this be covered in Accidental Damage?

I popped my phone on charge (forgot to turn it on, thankfully) whilst my 8 Month puppy was in the bedroom. I popped to the bathroom - only for a wee and I came back to the puppy with my phone hanging in his mouth with 2 of the corners being cracked to the point my phone is unusable.

It was 100% my fault for leaving it BUT My dog has been trusted for the past 3 months.
He's always left the phones, cables, and other things of that nature alone - I've never had a worry since he's been so good.
But the day before, he seemed to have switched his attitude but I thought he was just being a little devil as he was overtired and wasn't used to me having time off.
I never once thought my dog actually beginning to be in the regressing phase - If I knew he hit this stage sooner, I would've thought twice about leaving my phone. 

I only have Accidental damage (including liquid damage), Theft/Accidental loss, and phone Breakdown on the cover although another document from the same insurance policy says I am covered for Malicious damage too. 

Would I be able to claim on the phone insurance for accidental damage or just suck it up and buy a new phone?
🗑️Mission Declutter & Clean 2022🧼 - 105 Items
Onto building a life I love x

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 June 2022 at 1:36PM
    How much was the phone worth and what’s the excess and the single item limit on your policy? Not always worth making a claim. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • accidentalglixch
    accidentalglixch Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 June 2022 at 2:13PM
    elsien said:
    How much was the phone worth and what’s the excess and the single item limit on your policy? Not always worth making a claim. 

£149.00 for the Samsung Galaxy A13 Brand new in April  & Excess is £25
    But I don't have the £149.00 to replace outright :disappointed:

I'm not sure about the single item bit - it's the only thing i have insured as they don't do multiple device cover? 
    🗑️Mission Declutter & Clean 2022🧼 - 105 Items
    Onto building a life I love x
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My thought is that should be covered, but I'm not the insurer so it'd be best to ask them.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 June 2022 at 4:07PM
    You could always try making a claim. Do you have household insurance too and does it cover your phone? Ours does, so maybe yours does too? 

PS does your puppy need some more toys to keep him occupied? He sounds very cute .  .  .  
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Buy a second hand phone or see how much an independent phone shop would charge to replace the screen.

While you think a £25 excess is a cheaper way of replacing your phone, you may face higher premiums for a while.

Unless you definitely go down the insurance route, don't call them as they'll register the incident and you'll potentially face higher premiums and no new phone.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Almost certainly not worth claiming.
    there will be an excess plus several years of increases.

q. what’s the point of insurance you say?
    a. In case your house burns down, floods, catches fire or you are burgled.

• Smithcom
    Smithcom Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I popped my phone on charge (forgot to turn it on, thankfully) whilst my 8 Month puppy was in the bedroom. I popped to the bathroom - only for a wee and I came back to the puppy with my phone hanging in his mouth with 2 of the corners being cracked to the point my phone is unusable.

It was 100% my fault for leaving it BUT My dog has been trusted for the past 3 months.
    He's always left the phones, cables, and other things of that nature alone - I've never had a worry since he's been so good.
    But the day before, he seemed to have switched his attitude but I thought he was just being a little devil as he was overtired and wasn't used to me having time off.
    I never once thought my dog actually beginning to be in the regressing phase - If I knew he hit this stage sooner, I would've thought twice about leaving my phone. 

I only have Accidental damage (including liquid damage), Theft/Accidental loss, and phone Breakdown on the cover although another document from the same insurance policy says I am covered for Malicious damage too. 

Would I be able to claim on the phone insurance for accidental damage or just suck it up and buy a new phone?
    Check before calling insurer.   Many policies have a 'damage caused by pets' exclusion

Also, depending on cost of replacing/repairing phone, making a claim may not be in your interest

SC
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

It wont be malicious damage as that requires intent and whilst we are often guilty of anthropomorphism the law believes your dog didn't do it with the intent to do you harm.

Think most have thought you were claiming off your Home insurance rather than a dedicated Phone policy, doing so almost certainly would have not been economic given the higher excesses, impact on renewals etc.

Having a dedicated phone insurance then it may be worth claiming but read your policy first of all to check if there isn't an exclusion for damage caused by pets. Its common in Home policies but no idea on Phone. Its also worth checking if its a new for old or not policy, many aren't and so the secondhand value they settle for is much lower than many anticipate when they put their claim in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback