What would you class as a good salary?

Options

Comments

• ratfig
    ratfig Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd say about 30k minimum?
    But I really have no idea, I'm retired, mortgage free and have a net income of 22k, from an occupational pension and my state pension, I'm fine with that. I've got a 12 year old car which costs very little to run, and a bus pass which is what I use for most local trips.
    Only thing I'd say is get a decent pension sorted, never too early to start.
  • jow4396
    jow4396 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A good salary is subjective and is dependent upon one’s situation and geographical area.

I used to earn £8k per year working part time as I was single parent with 3 kids and no support network. I was stuck in a benefit trap. I moved back down south 3 years ago when the kids were older to earn a better wage and to finally have some pride. I’ve worked my socks off and I now earn circa £68k per annum. Do you know what though? Because I live in the south and it is so much more expensive down here, I’m quite honestly only slightly better off. Paying £1500 per month on rent sucks up a lot of my income and I’m also paying a student loan. However, I have my pride and I know that everything I have and do is because I earn it ☺️ 

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    For me, much depends not just on the spending and lifestyle that goes with that aspect of a salary, but on what I need to do to earn it.  Plenty of jobs pay more than mine and I look at them, think that I could do that - but I don't want to!  I see £40k doing something interesting and worthwhile as a better salary than £80k for something less enjoyable and more stressful which took up all my energy in the week.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    I earn just  slightly above the median UK wage and consider myself 'well off' because I can easily pay for everything I need and want and still put a bit into savings. I have no interest in earning more money - particularly if it involves increased effort, which sometimes surprises people. There are people I work with on the same salary who feel we are very underpaid and say they struggle to make ends meet. As we all have different needs, wants and expectations a 'good salary' is kind of meaningless.
  • loony767
    loony767 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any wage where your income exceeds your outgoings
  • I’m a nurse qualified 8 years ago and earn around £35,000 with unsocial hours of weekends included. I would say around £50,000 is a good wage, which isn’t possible as a nurse staying in nursing rather than managerial role moving away from patients. 
  • sultan123
    sultan123 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Early 70s?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    sultan123 said:
    Early 70s?
    This is old. . . almost twelve months old . . . just saying. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sultan123 said:
    Early 70s?
    A good salary in the early 70s, three shillings and a pig?
  • sultan123
    sultan123 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sultan123 said:
    Early 70s?
    A good salary in the early 70s, three shillings and a pig?
    Most say 70k is decent
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure