TUI Expenses Claim

We were due to fly back to LGW from Hurghada at 2200hrs on 27/05 and we had an overnight stay booked at Premier Inn at the airport then an Easyjet flight booked to take us back to Scotland the following day.

TUI delayed our flight by 20hrs (took off at 1800 on 28/05) meaning that we were not in the UK for our hotel or for our flight back up to Inverness at 1215 on 28/05.

On arrival in Uk on 28/05 at 2220 I tried to book another room in the premier inn and found they were all sold out, the same with travelodges/Sofitel etc etc.  through booking.com I found only rooms available close to the airport were ones priced at £300 or more, I booked the last room Crowne Plaza had at £295.00.

There were no flights available from LGW-INV as all sold out and next flight would be on Tuesday 31/05 which was not an option as we needed to be back for work on 30/05.  The only option available to us to get us home to Thurso in far north of Scotland was to hire a car at Gatwick, drive the 700 miles to inverness, pick up our own car from the long stay car park then drive the further 110 miles home.  The cost of the car hire was £601 though £200 will be returned to us. 

We’ve paid out nearly £1000 in additional expenses due to the flights delay (extra parking charges, additional nights at kennels for our dogs, taxis to & from airport to Crowne Plaza)  thankfully we had the finances to do this at the time but will TUI pay these out?

The reason for the delay was the plane was late leaving Naples to LGW then further delayed at LGW before taking off to Hurghada pitting the crew over their flying hours.

I’m insured with Tripsure but they don’t seem to have an obtainable phone number, all the numbers supplied on the policy are no longer in existence so can’t speak to them.  I tried to make a claim on the website and it crashed after submitting the claim so stuck what to do next with them too

can anyone give me some hope?

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Depending on the delay reason you 'may' qualify for EU261/UK261 compensation.

TUI should have provided a 'duty of care' whilst you were delayed in Egypt.  Meals and refreshments plus a hotel if an overnight delay.

I think you will have issue claiming back your costs to get between LGW and INV.  I suspect TUI will take the view that the holiday was to return you to LGW and that is where their responsibility ends. 

The consequential loss and extra costs to get back home after your delayed arrival might be something to see if your travel insurance will cover. IMO I don't think TUI will pay them, although any EU261/UK261 compensation will hopefully offset.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You are entitled to £520 compensation each for the delayed arrival, you can of course request additional compensation but you have no legal entitlement to any more as pointed out by Westin, their liability ends at Gatwick
  • julies0708
    julies0708 Posts: 5
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are entitled to £520 compensation each for the delayed arrival, you can of course request additional compensation but you have no legal entitlement to any more as pointed out by Westin, their liability ends at Gatwick
    yes already submitted claim for the £520 each which has been successful.  finally got a working phone number for my insurance company but in a never ending queue

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,514
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    yes already submitted claim for the £520 each which has been successful.  finally got a working phone number for my insurance company but in a never ending queue

at least it sounds like you will not be financially out of pocket by using the compensation to pay the additional costs, anything further from insurance would no doubt be a bonus....good luck
  • julies0708
    julies0708 Posts: 5
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Caz3121 said:

at least it sounds like you will not be financially out of pocket by using the compensation to pay the additional costs, anything further from insurance would no doubt be a bonus....good luck
    yes we'll get back what we put out thats the good thing but it would be nice to also have our expenses paid back too.  

Finally got through to the insurer and they're sending out a claim form for Travel Delay Benefit....not sure what we'll be able to claim back but think it might be only £120 each - just about covers the hotel

• I found this forum while searching for where to claim Tui expenses. Our flight was delayed by 27 hours, we have claimed compensation from Tui but also wanted to claim our travel expenses for the night they advised us to travel home or book a hotel. Visit Tui.co.uk/afterhome and raise a complaint, I was able to add my details and attach receipts
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,855
    Forumite
    I found this forum while searching for where to claim Tui expenses. Our flight was delayed by 27 hours, we have claimed compensation from Tui but also wanted to claim our travel expenses for the night they advised us to travel home or book a hotel. Visit Tui.co.uk/afterhome and raise a complaint, I was able to add my details and attach receipts
    It's unclear if you're belatedly offering advice to OP (who's long since disappeared over the horizon) or seeking guidance yourself?
  • @eskbanker Were you on the same flight as us to Dominican Republic? I did the same but haven't heard anything back yet.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,855
    Forumite
    FMC69 said:
    @eskbanker Were you on the same flight as us to Dominican Republic? I did the same but haven't heard anything back yet.
    No, my point above was simply a housekeeping one about resurrecting old threads and then posting in an unclear way - were you perhaps intending to address a different poster?
  • Ah yes sorry. @Manchester2023
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure