Thank you Martin re: work on the cost of living crisis

Options
FreedomBringsPeace
FreedomBringsPeace Posts: 98 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 31 May 2022 at 4:51PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi Martin i and im sure many others are very thankful to you and the team for your unfailing financial guidance and support. Especially with your on going campaigning with the government over the cost of living crisis. Thank you

Comments

• davidscottishpainter19
    davidscottishpainter19 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2022 at 6:59PM
    Options
    Taxes on everything: Council tax, on food and energy must legally be reduced. These additional taxes are too burdomsome.

Based on the authoritative book that is used in courts to this day. One of the most prestigious books is William Blackstone's; Commentaries on the laws of England. In this book it states:

"And in this committee every member (though it is looked upon as the peculiar province of the chancellor of the exchequer) may propose such scheme of taxation as he thinks will be least detrimental to the public." (Page 298)
    Commentaries on the laws of England.  William Blackstone. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30802/30802-h/30802-h.htm#Footnote_Y_608

I would say that this high inflation caused by mismanagement of tge economy is causing a cost of living crisis. The additional taxes ontop of this inflation is detrimental.

Additionally William Blackstone states:
    "But the things to be aimed at are wisdom and moderation, not only in granting, but also in the method of raising, the necessary supplies; by contriving to do both in such a manner as may be most conducive to the national welfare and at the same time most consistent with oeconomy and the liberty of the subject; who, when properly taxed, contributes only, as was before observed[y], some part of his property, in order to enjoy the rest." (Page 297)

I would infer that there is not much left ("rest") for lots of people after paying bills.

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Given BoJo's mediocre performance in the no-confidence vote, and poor performance in polls, I suspect there may be much bribery of the electorate to come in the near future. What's another few billion of public debt going to matter?
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TripleH said:
    What taxes on food are you on about? If its VAT, then that is only on foods deemed a 'luxury'. Foods not deemed a luxury have no VAT.
    You don’t pay VAT on digestive biscuits unless they are covered in chocolate.  The chocolate ones are a luxury, ordinary ones aren’t.   :D
  • longjohnjohnson
    Options
    Whilst lower taxation is generally a good thing, it will come at the expense of many public services that people currently enjoy.

So which ones are you ready to cut?  And please be honest and don't pick the ones that least affect you right now.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whilst lower taxation is generally a good thing, it will come at the expense of many public services that people currently enjoy.

So which ones are you ready to cut?  And please be honest and don't pick the ones that least affect you right now.
    I’ve had this conversation with many people before now.  Opinions seem to be defence, new helicopters, planes and ships etc.  A few have said anything other than the NHS but that’s because most of the people I talk to are of the older generation who tend to use the NHS more. 

What surprised me was how many people hadn’t realised that cutting taxes could mean cutting services.

I  would go for defence and capital projects such as HS2.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback