PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Close to a year and still no completion date

Options
Looking for advice. I've been very patient with my seller, but I'm now at the end of my tether.

I'm a first-time buyer and back in September, I had an offer accepted on a property. When offering, I was told by the sellers that they planned to complete by April. March arrived, and I was notified of a delay (as the sellers were still struggling to find a property). I accepted this delay and shortly after the seller found a property and now planned to complete by July.  Last week, I was told that the sellers are considering pulling out of their purchase as their seller was rude to them and that they now don't know when they'll be able to complete. 

In this time, I've had to apply for two mortgages (and will likely have to apply a third time if I continue), my interest rate has gone up by 1.5% because of the delays, I've had to get two home insurance and life insurance quotes and I've had to extend my current tenancy for another 6 months, at a higher rate. 

Is it normal to take this long to complete a house purchase or are my sellers now messing me around? I've been looking around for other properties, but haven't found anything quite as nice. That said, I can't continue to wait with interest rates rising. 

I've made suggestions to them such as moving out to rent if they are serious about selling (but their reply was that they have children to think of). Is there anything else that I can do to speed up the process?

Comments

• eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    find another house
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You’ve been very patient but your sellers are taking you for a fool.  Of course they could rent, people do it all the time.
  • sidneyvic
    sidneyvic Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They sound like complete muppets with no regard for anyone but themselves. Pull out amd find another house but dont tell them. You can drop that on them when they find their dream house....
  • Blue_bell_20
    Blue_bell_20 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn’t wait around, I mean keep it as an option but view other houses? It’s ultimately up to you if you want to wait around.

There’s nothing to say that they won’t keep offering and pulling out of other houses as well.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above.
    Keep looking for other houses, instruct your solicitor to freeze work on this purchase.
    Even if you find somewhere else, I wouldn't formally pull-out or even volunteer you are looking unless specifically asked, then be honest.

May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your sellers are not committed to moving out. You need to look and offer on other things. If you really, really want this specific house, tell the EA you’re looking at other houses because of the lack of movement at the seller end (ie, the EA’s clients- no sale, no EA money. That might cause the EA to increase the pressure on the sellers.) Best of luck 
  • Zerforax
    Zerforax Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2022 at 8:26PM
    Options
    What would worry me in your position is that the housing market has continued to rise. The sellers could pull out of your transaction and re-list it at a higher price..
    Like others have suggested, I'd be looking at other properties (while not saying anything to these sellers). At least then you've got your options open.
  • simon_or
    simon_or Posts: 890 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2022 at 9:58AM
    Options
    Like the others have said, freeze any work on this and keep looking.
  • Megaross
    Megaross Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm 15 months in and I know others in a similar boat. I've been living out of boxes since last june and currently living with a friend as I just wanted mine sold.

Multiple mortgage offers and a second lot if searches as well as a price hike. It's par for the course sadly, I'm aware of two other people in this situation just in my social circle so you're not a rare case.

Ultimately no harm in looking elsewhere but as the market is drier than the sahara there's no guarantee you'll find anywhere suitable in budget and may just need to hang on.

You could incentivise the sellers to move on, offering to pay them to go into rented. No guarantee they'll take it though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback