PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is auction a good route to go down?

Options
I have been thinking about selling my empty house at auction, not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I have had two FTBs mess me about and I do not think I have it in me to start again.

Any pros and cons I should be aware of?

Comments

• jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You’ll potentially get less buyers therefore a lower price.

Why have the FTBs pulled out? Survey results? Down valuation?
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks - I have no shortage of buyers for my house on the open market, its just so annoying. 

No, nothing like that. First buyer could not get a mortgage and this one I don't even know. Its been going on 3 months and now at time to exchange and for some reason the buyer is not ready and I think we are just going to tell them we are relisting. 
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    Options
    ...you will get a quick/firm sale, but you will need to accept you will get less money...
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Thanks - I have no shortage of buyers for my house on the open market, its just so annoying. 

No, nothing like that. First buyer could not get a mortgage and this one I don't even know. Its been going on 3 months and now at time to exchange and for some reason the buyer is not ready and I think we are just going to tell them we are relisting. 
    You could be waiting another 3 months, even by auction - perhaps tell them that you’ll continue with them but if they don’t exchange by x (be reasonable though) date then you’ll remarket?
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • housebuyer143
    Options

You could be waiting another 3 months, even by auction - perhaps tell them that you’ll continue with them but if they don’t exchange by x (be reasonable though) date then you’ll remarket?
    It's so hard to know what to do. I know you are right. If only I could see the future 🔮🔮
  • simon_or
    simon_or Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    If you have plenty of interest in the property, it would be unwise to put it in auction.

Perhaps your EA isn't qualifying buyers properly, or it's an FTB property that is having a price agreed at which it's difficult to get a mortgage at a high LTV.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I don't recommend selling at auction, some people say you make more than the usual channels, but I haven't met anyone that has.   Two years on I think I would have got more if I'd stuck with my slippery buyer, the same surveyor came out to do the auction survey for him and he said he was 'very keen'.  But the negotiation got very ugly and I'd had enough.  I was anxious to sell as I'd already moved into rented so I paid all the fees myself.  Sold the day after the auction after very low on-line bids on the day for £275k (guide price was £315k, 'reserve' was £350K).  To enter the catalogue was £795, solicitor £1300 for the legal pack, £6,600 auction fees inc VAT.  And the buyer was - my slippery buyer from the EA.  Luckily for me the EA waived their fee.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One of the problems of trying to sell to FTB.  Put it back on the market and do more diligence on who you sell to, due to my bad experience with a FTB and her mother I would never sell to FTB.
  • canaldumidi
    canaldumidi Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes if you have lots of interest, dont just accept the highest offer- get the EA to tell you about each prospective buyer and choose the one sounding most likely to go the whole way AND pay a decent price, even if not the top price.
  • housebuyer143
    Options
    comeandgo said:
    One of the problems of trying to sell to FTB.  Put it back on the market and do more diligence on who you sell to, due to my bad experience with a FTB and her mother I would never sell to FTB.
    Its bad to generalize but some FTBs give them all a bad name! It is a FTB house though, so it is hard to find other people who want it, although we generally get offers in a few days, so I might relist and wait it out next time for an investor or someone moving from a flat. 
    I actually have an offer now from another FTB (wants it if this one falls through) but I just cant bring myself to accept it after she said she pulled out her last purchase due to a survey which mentioned too much work....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback