Moving House - Eon Next won't transfer my fixed rate tariff

Options
In August 2021 I fixed my energy tariff for 12 months with Eon Next. I am now moving house, and was under the impression the account could just be moved over to the new property, as I still have 4 months left on the contract. I spoke to Eon Next about this and they said the account can't be moved over and they will close it once I moved, which means I will be automatically put on a variable rate with British Gas at the new property (very expensive).

I have attached some pictures. One is a message on the Eon Next website which sounds like I should be able move the account over. The second is my email response to Eon Next. 

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless specifically in the terms and conditions of the contract that you can move your fixed rate over or if you were told this on the phone and can request a transcript I think you are out of luck.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing in that first image says you can keep your tariff, in fact it makes it clear you will be paying a new supplier and if you want to switch to them you will need to open a new account...

In your second quote, this part makes it clear that your contract ends when someone else becomes responsible for paying for the energy at your address, which is exactly what happens when you move out...

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The only thing that I can see that suggests you could keep the tariff is that one line "That way you get to keep that feel-good energy feeling".  

Otherwise it seems to say when you move you change supplier.  And if you don't like that supplier you can move back to Eon.  But that would be a new account, so not that old tariff.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback