We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

£150 council tax rebate failed payment verification

I was starting to wonder about my £150 council tax rebate, then I received a letter saying I have "failed payment verification" and I have to submit a claim online. I've done this for the sake of getting through the process, but as I pay by direct debit you'd think they'd be able to credit my account without me submitting a separate claim.
Just wondering if others have experienced similar.

Comments

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Are you absolutely certain that the letter was genuine?  Or have you now given all your personal details to a bunch of scammers?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Thank you for the question, and yes, a good reminder to be sceptical about everything we receive.
    I made the claim by going to my council's website, and following the links to claim the £150 (the route that anyone who doesn't pay by direct debit would have to use). I've now had a notification that my claim has been accepted and I'll have the payment within 10 days.
    So yes, I'm pretty sure it's genuine - and curious to know if this is a common thing happening to people.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,795 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Just checked my local website and there's bumpf on there about it and needing to wait to receive a letter.   Also a warning that the libraries are busy as lots of people don't have a computer or internet at home so will need to go to the library to apply.

    Energy Bill Rebate (bcpcouncil.gov.uk)


    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Thank you, that's interesting - a more helpful website than my local one! It does still seem, though, that it doesn't expect anyone who pays by direct debit to need to submit a claim.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.