We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Are there any suppliers taking on new customers?

newbie8
newbie8 Posts: 116 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hello all,

I appreciate the whole of UK are in the same boat.. but are there any suppliers taking on new customers? 
I'm looking for my parents who are currently with Shell Flexible 7 and there DD has gone from £66 to £162! 

I know there won't be any cheap deals but at least something where I can fix for them. 

Thanks,


Comments

  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Most suppliers will take new customers on fixed term tariffs but in the short term these won't be cheaper than the standard variable tariff your parents are already on. Longer term it comes down to a bit of crystal-ball gazing...
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 11,284 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    newbie8 said:
    I'm looking for my parents who are currently with Shell Flexible 7 and there DD has gone from £66 to £162! 

    I know there won't be any cheap deals but at least something where I can fix for them.
    Before you move them, have you checked that the £162 is accurate for their usage on the Shell tariff?

  • newbie8
    newbie8 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    MWT said:
    newbie8 said:
    I'm looking for my parents who are currently with Shell Flexible 7 and there DD has gone from £66 to £162! 

    I know there won't be any cheap deals but at least something where I can fix for them.
    Before you move them, have you checked that the £162 is accurate for their usage on the Shell tariff?

    I send regular meter readings. Is this enough? 
  • newbie8
    newbie8 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Most suppliers will take new customers on fixed term tariffs but in the short term these won't be cheaper than the standard variable tariff your parents are already on. Longer term it comes down to a bit of crystal-ball gazing...
    I can't seem to find any. I've looked on individual suppliers sites and also on uSwitch. But nothing comes up. 
    What am I doing wrong? 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,846 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    newbie8 said:
    I appreciate the whole of UK are in the same boat.. but are there any suppliers taking on new customers?
    Yes, EDF and Octopus - plus perhaps others.
    I'm looking for my parents who are currently with Shell Flexible 7 and there DD has gone from £66 to £162! 
    I know there won't be any cheap deals but at least something where I can fix for them.
    You're not going to find a tariff significantly cheaper than Shell Flexible 7, and fixes are likely to be considerably more expensive. If Shell have calculated £162/month accurately, I would hazard a guess that most fixes will be over £200/month.
    Plug their details into one of the comparison sites and see what pops out.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 23 May 2022 at 9:29PM
    newbie8 said:
    Most suppliers will take new customers on fixed term tariffs but in the short term these won't be cheaper than the standard variable tariff your parents are already on. Longer term it comes down to a bit of crystal-ball gazing...
    I can't seem to find any. I've looked on individual suppliers sites and also on uSwitch. But nothing comes up. 
    What am I doing wrong? 
    Maybe it varies with region but if I look on this site's Cheap Energy Club I have options from 4 suppliers. Scottish Power are giving quotes for new customers for me as well. I've not tried others recently.

    https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

    However, as per my first post it's highly debatable whether any of the fixes you'll find are a good idea right now. They will definitely all be more expensive until October, and then it comes down to how much the price cap increases by.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,846 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    newbie8 said:
    Most suppliers will take new customers on fixed term tariffs but in the short term these won't be cheaper than the standard variable tariff your parents are already on. Longer term it comes down to a bit of crystal-ball gazing...
    I can't seem to find any. I've looked on individual suppliers sites and also on uSwitch. But nothing comes up. 
    What am I doing wrong? 
    Have you tried eg. Which? Switch or the CAB site? Or Energylinx?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 11,284 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    newbie8 said:
    MWT said:
    newbie8 said:
    I'm looking for my parents who are currently with Shell Flexible 7 and there DD has gone from £66 to £162! 

    I know there won't be any cheap deals but at least something where I can fix for them.
    Before you move them, have you checked that the £162 is accurate for their usage on the Shell tariff?

    I send regular meter readings. Is this enough? 
    Probably not, it should be, but not all suppliers are getting the monthly amounts 'right.'

    The good news is that if you have been sending regular meter readings you should be able to calculate the actual use over the last year, then use the current tariff to work out the annual cost, divide by 12 and see what you get...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.