Help understanding tax code...

Options
cloud_dog
cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
Unfortunately, I seem to need some assistance in understanding my mother's tax code, as I just cannot seem to reconcile it.

Tax code:  159L

State Pension:  £9969
Other Pension: £7672

Interest (approx): £400
No other taxable income

I thought the tax code would be higher?

Unfortunately, we don't have the PoA registered with HMRC so I can't ring, and it is not possible to set up a Personal Tax Account (no passport / driving licence).
Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2022 at 3:11PM
    Options
    I assume the 159L is being used against the £7672 pension. The coding notice - have you got that ? - will show how the code is arrived at because on the face of it she should have a code of 260 so you need to find out what other deductions are being made and why.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do the personal allowance is 12570 less state pension 9969 (there is no mechanism for collecting tax on state pension) less 400 to cover interest on savings which, to me, leaves 2201. That would equate to a tax code of 220L. Are no other deductions shown - perhaps an underpayment bring collected?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Have they not sent a tax code notification in the post? Or your mother could ring them while you're there, they'll probably allow you to talk on her behalf if she initially talks to them and gives consent.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 22 January at 3:51PM
    Options
    Do the personal allowance is 12570 less state pension 9969 (there is no mechanism for collecting tax on state pension) less 400 to cover interest on savings which, to me, leaves 2201. That would equate to a tax code of 220L. Are no other deductions shown - perhaps an underpayment bring collected?
    Shouldn't be any deduction for the interest, covered by the PSA/savings nil rate band. HMRC do (pointlessly) do it when earnings are below the PA but this is obviously not the case here with a tax code of 159L on an income of £7k+

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January at 3:51PM
    Options
    zagfles said:
    Shouldn't be any deduction for the interest, covered by the PSA/savings nil rate band. HMRC do (pointlessly) do it when earnings are below the PA but this is obviously not the case here with a tax code of 159L on an income of £7k+

Yes - I know they do - I was trying to get to the bottom of the tax code. There must be an another deduction somewhere.
  • TheMilkmansDad
    Options
    does it not show in the Government gateway PAYE info? Is she/you able to log in and se what the deductions are?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    does it not show in the Government gateway PAYE info? Is she/you able to log in and se what the deductions are?

cloud_dog said:
     and it is not possible to set up a Personal Tax Account (no passport / driving licence).

• TheMilkmansDad
    Options
    molerat said:

cloud_dog said:
     and it is not possible to set up a Personal Tax Account (no passport / driving licence).

my bad  :(

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cloud_dog said:
    Unfortunately, I seem to need some assistance in understanding my mother's tax code, as I just cannot seem to reconcile it.

Tax code:  159L

State Pension:  £9969
    Other Pension: £7672

Interest (approx): £400
    No other taxable income

I thought the tax code would be higher?

Unfortunately, we don't have the PoA registered with HMRC so I can't ring, and it is not possible to set up a Personal Tax Account (no passport / driving licence).
    You don't need a PoA to phone about something relatively basic like this.

Providing she is willing to speak to the adviser first she should then be able to give authority for them to discuss this with you.

If the "other pension" has been in payment for a couple of years or more then the interest in unlikely to be the issue.

Is your State Pension figure definitely correct?  This is often misunderstood with payments thought to be monthly when they're actually weekly.

Maybe she owes tax for some reason?  Is she one of the people DWP have been making payments of State Pension arrears to?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your mother can give HMRC authority to speak to you . This would only apply for that phone call.

If you want a qick answer then she can speak first and then authorise them to speak to you.

She can write a letter authorising you to act on her behalf- similar to appointing an agent to act for you. This would apply until she cancelled it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback