🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can I be discharged from an IPA sooner?


So I have a rather unusual case, and I want to appeal my IPA in place, as I don't feel I earn enough to be on the payment plan and won't be for the foreseeable future. 

In January, I was released from Bankruptcy, but before this, I was put into an IPA.  Subsequently, I reduced my hours in April, received a reduced salary, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

As I have explained to the OR previously, I need to save for a deposit to move out of the property I currently reside in, as the house is being sold this year. I believe I was put into an IPA on incorrect grounds when I should have exited bankruptcy in January, with no IPA in place, given the amount I need to save for a deposit. 

My current landlord has sold their house and will be exchanging in June, and I have no way to save for a deposit on a new property. Due to personal circumstances, the money the OR has agreed I could save for a deposit needed to be used for a car repair. I informed my insolvency caseworker (in line with the policies I had to adhere to) and updated the OR of my circumstances changes. However, I was told I could no longer save for my deposit in this way, as the funds hadn't been used for their intended and agreed purpose of rental deposit (even though I informed the OR of my circumstances) as the money was instead used to pay for my car repairs.

Unfortunately I don't have a guarantor or 6 months rent. Renting a house without a guarantor and six months' rent is impossible. 

A number of people I have seen avoid an IPA went unemployed for 12 months. Unfortunately I was not given this advice. Otherwise I would have remained unemployed. 

I wondered if it is possible to appeal to the IPA? That way I can leave the IPA and earn more to pay towards my deposit. 



  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have surplus income then you have to pay an IPA. If you don't pay then the OR will ask the court for an attachment to earnings order. 

    Presumably you will get the deposit back from your current landlord?     
  • ellgren
    ellgren Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    What did the OR say in response to your change of circumstances? It is not unheard of to vary an IPA due to a change.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards