PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking and keeping cool

Options
Cooking in a flask

Solar cooking. I know sorry not a very good quality video but it demonstrates well how easy it would be to make your own, the only question is if it viable in the UK?

Homemade solar

Depending on where you want to cook because I don't think you would be to popular with the neighbors with this one its the kelly kettle type system

Of course, you don't need to buy one! They are very efficient at heating so a small soup type can with appropriate holes made in it can easily boil water quickly and you don't even need to use proper wood or any cardboard, junk mail, twigs from walks etc can be used just make sure its not fresh/green or it will smoke a lot and consider the people around you. If you can afford it the kelly kettles are incredible for boiling water because of the shape but people use pans with a variety of mini wood stoves for hiking all the time so they can't be that bad!

Keeping food cool if you are not "allowed" to dig your own root cellar. Bare with me on this one it's a slow burner, he's a nomadic shepherd in American towns.......oh and his seep pulls his cart.

As it's hard to make out parts basically you felt wool ( you can buy fleeces from Ebay if you are not allowed a sheep like me) and make a cover around a box of items or bottles. Then it is just a case of spraying the wool so that the water evaporates leaving the contents cool.

You can also make a house out of wool the Himalayan yak herders felt their wool and then make a teepee type dwelling out of it, good to go all year round......sigh.

Comments

• pennyforthem
    pennyforthem Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh how fancy you can see an image of the clips! <3
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    Hello, I used to be a regular poster, have lurked for awhile. I'm not sure if you want a comment on these methods specifically, or general low energy cooking. 

I am old enough to have used a 'haybox', and have used its modern equivalent - a strong cardboard or wooden box, packed with an old duvet (either wash this or cover with an old clean sheet). If you have a sunny spot or an airing cupboard, you can put it there.

I have also used what this clip calls a 'Kelly' system. On our hikes & camps in the 50s we used something similar, but with a different name, I have to say it took a LONG time to boil 2 cups of water.

I make thermos porridge. My own 'recipe' is 1/3 cup oats, 1 tablespoon dried milk, 200 ml boiling water, handful of raisins, left overnight ( when I was at work, I used to take it in with me) but everyone needs to sort out their own.

2 important points about low energy cooking - you need to boil first (or at least heat to 80 deg.C) to get rid of bacteria. Also, if using pulses (other than lentils) you need to cook at a high temperature to destroy a compound that is poisonous if not boiled (haemagluttin I think). You can look up boiling time for different pulses, but I tend to give them all 10 minutes.

I hope this helpful, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback