Understand energy use of appliances

I have recently installed solar panels and want to optimize usage.
One issue I have is that my washing machine for example will tell me how much energy is used for the different cycles, but doesn't indicate if this is principally in the first few minutes as cold water is heated up, or if it is spread throughout the cycle. Dishwasher is even more unclear with a 3.5 hour cycle. The issue being if the sun is shining but by the time the energy hungry element starts things may have clouded over.
Is there info available somewhere on this, or do I need to hassle the customer service desk of the appliance manufacturer?
Any other tips on being smart also appreciated.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't think you'll find that information published anywhere.
    The cheapest way is to keep an eye on your smart meter IHD during a wash cycle. No new equipment required and you'll get a good feel not only for the total amount of energy required but how "peaky" it is.
    If you don't yet have a smart meter (you'll need one for SEG payments) then you'll need to buy an energy monitor. This could be as simple as a basic plug-in monitor (Amazon link) or slightly smarter like the Tapo P110 energy-monitoring plug (Amazon link) that frequently gets recommended (I have a similar Zigbee device).
    Or you could go for a whole-house device like a Geo Minim but those start to get expensive and are a lot less common now. There are various used and NOS options on eBay (example).
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    QrizB said:
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't think you'll find that information published anywhere.
    The cheapest way is to keep an eye on your smart meter IHD during a wash cycle. No new equipment required and you'll get a good feel not only for the total amount of energy required but how "peaky" it is.
    If you don't yet have a smart meter (you'll need one for SEG payments) then you'll need to buy an energy monitor. This could be as simple as a basic plug-in monitor (Amazon link) or slightly smarter like the Tapo P110 energy-monitoring plug (Amazon link) that frequently gets recommended (I have a similar Zigbee device).
    Or you could go for a whole-house device like a Geo Minim but those start to get expensive and are a lot less common now. There are various used and NOS options on eBay (example).
    Or even simpler, I used to just have a look at the flashing light on the meter whilst these appliances are on. 

Washing machines only use a great deal of energy during the main heat up phase at the beginning of the cycle. (Although this may be more than once or just later on if you use a pre-wash) 

Dishwashers heat up at the beginning and then roughly two thirds of the way through. My Bosch indicates 'rinsing' whilst it's drawing this second lot of energy. When it moves onto drying it's done with the heating.   I've also noticed that if I used the shorter setting for a wash it draws about 3kW but on the slower one (3.15 I think for the eco setting) it only draws 2kW which of course is preferable.  So my challenge is to decide whether there will be enough sun in 2 1/2 house time or whether there will be a good chunk of sun for the next hour and a bit! 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My solar panel inverter comes with a monitoring app. that shows me electricity usage; that's not unusual is it? 
    Reed
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    My solar panel inverter comes with a monitoring app. that shows me electricity usage; that's not unusual is it? 
    Mine only shows production.  My battery app shows usage. 
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2022 at 7:31PM
    Quite easy really get owl monitor similar clamp the ct around solar tail and stick where any one can see it.
    Energy Monitors | OWL Micro+ | The OWL
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i  just  bought a shelly monitor very  basic but useful you can  put a clamp on any cable to measure power in use and can be viewed on smartphone or pc
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    I've been using an Ecoegg for washing for the last few months. Our laundry is not generally really dirty, just needs a freshen up. There's no soap to rinse out so I go for the 30 minute quick wash at 30C and the Ecoegg will be doing whatever it does for both the wash and rinse parts of the cycle. Works well with using solar as the heat part is within the first 5 minutes. If my husband has managed to drip ketchup down his t-shirt I chuck in an eggcupful of washing powder to boost stain removal.

Dishwasher is trickier to manage with solar, watching IHD for timings works well, My biggest peak is about 15 minutes into the eco cycle and fingers crossed the sun is still out when it heats again later.

Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alnat1 said:

Dishwasher is trickier to manage with solar, watching IHD for timings works well,

One day, appliances could be "told" what the power availability is like, so it could delay the second heating cycle until the sun comes out [for a really simplified example].
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    What you really need is an EV and a Zappi EVSE (EV charging point). That will let you monitor it all using the app and you'll quickly learn what your different appliances do on their different settings. The best part is you'll also divert much of your excess generation into the car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback