Selling brand new expensive smartphone on eBay - is it really risky as it looks?

Options
erik85
erik85 Posts: 30 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hello,

with work we have one of those benefits where we can purchase electronic devices with a strong discount; that combined with a "return your phone" scheme, I could get a brand new smartphone for a very good price, which I did.
The plan was to resell it on eBay and hopefully make some profit; I am not unfamiliar with selling affordable products on eBay, however having read about selling expensive electronic devices I am starting to realise that perhaps my plan is not so great after all!
It seems like eBay is festering with scammy buyers nowadays, with buyers receiving the package but claiming the box is empty / or item arrived broken, and then getting to keep the item and having a refund. The seller instead loses the item and the money.

Are there (m)any success stories out there, perhaps highlighting that as usual perhaps the negative stories make it to the web but all the perhaps many positive outcomes are not reported?
What is the best way of safeguarding myself, besides of course shipping with tracking? Are videos really useful if a dispute were to be raised? Any other tip from UK based seller (can read a lot online from US sellers).

Thanks!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thousands of phones sold on ebay weekly with no issues. But as with everything in life there is always a risk.

Some claim to video them packing the item but they can be edited, are you going to record live from the moment the
    buyer pays to packing and taking it to the post office with no breaks or cuts? Even then its possible to edit a video to
    make it appear that happened.

Follow ebays rules to the letter, if you cannot afford to lose it then choose a safer option although your likely to get
    less money for it.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And also make sure you take details of the serial and IMEI number.
    The phone can be reported as stolen and blocked if there is something wrong making it useless to the buyer... unless they know ways to unblock it (fairly unlikely).
  • erik85
    erik85 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The phone can be reported as stolen and blocked if there is something wrong making it useless to the buyer... unless they know ways to unblock it (fairly unlikely).
    just to be prepared for the worst, rather than scrambling around in case the worst should happen; how would I go about blocking the phone with serial /IMEI numbers? Do I need to file a report to the police? Would the case of a naughty buyer be actually treated as stolen? I have the feeling not?
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Scammy buyers and sellers I think. eBay is a nightmare all round these days 
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • ritz55
    ritz55 Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've sold a number of expensive phones on ebay and never had an issue. I make it clear that I don't accept bids from anyone with a feddback of less than 10, UK postage only and use a good tracking provider. Normally RM SD. If the buyer looks dodge, cancel and relist the item (Did this once and buyer never left a neg) 
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    juat so you know - if anything 'goes wrong' ebay will side with the buyer and force you to refund.

you could try 'collection only' there are some risks but not as many as posting brings.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also check the small print of your work scheme - some are simple discounts, but some do have resale restrictions.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    erik85 said:
    just to be prepared for the worst, rather than scrambling around in case the worst should happen; how would I go about blocking the phone with serial /IMEI numbers? Do I need to file a report to the police? Would the case of a naughty buyer be actually treated as stolen? I have the feeling not?
    Report to the police.
    They will give you a crime number.
    Phone [phone manufacturer] and say your phone is stolen so you want to block the IEMI number AND that you have a police crime number.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thousands of phones sold on ebay weekly with no issues. But as with everything in life there is always a risk.

Some claim to video them packing the item but they can be edited, are you going to record live from the moment the
    buyer pays to packing and taking it to the post office with no breaks or cuts? Even then its possible to edit a video to
    make it appear that happened.

Follow ebays rules to the letter, if you cannot afford to lose it then choose a safer option although your likely to get
    less money for it.

Agree - realistically I think it's pointless to record anything as there will always be a counter argument.

I'd only go with a buyer with high feedback for this reason.
    Know what you don't
  • in_the_Cotswolds
    Options
    As stated above by ritz55 send by Royal Mail Special Delivery. It is tracked all the way and fully insured. Some couriers won't take high value items.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback