Full and Final settlement offers

Options
Hi,I have been in a DMP for sixteen years.Shortly will be in a position to offer between 30% and 50% of the balance owing.
For the past 3 years have had letters offering 50% discount from some of my creditors .
I know the credit score number is just a number.All of my creditors in my DMP, 11 in total do not show up on my credit file.
 If I settle my DMP they will all show on my credit file as "Partially settled"
Would this stop me getting car finance only shortly will need to get a new car?
Look forward to replys

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,969 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Once an entry drops off your file, nothing can bring it back, its gone forever, credit files are only updated for 6 years, when they say your file will be updated to reflect a partial settlement, that only applies if the debt is less than 6 years old, older debts do not get resurrected to reflect the new status, so relax.

16 years on a DMP is a hell of a long time, it would be in your best interest`s to make CCA requests to all your relevant accounts, if you have not already done so, due to the passage of time, the likelihood of them retaining compliant paperwork diminishes rapidly.

At this stage, I suspect you will have paid your dues, so you may be able to just walk away if they can`t produce what they legally should.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dmptogo
    Dmptogo Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you that has got me thinking now.
    I have apparently one month to settle this DMP.(Clause written into the agreement)
    I could always ask for an extension on this because it could take up to a month to get replies from them.
    Any body got the stock letter for a CCa request 
  • Cheesephetamine
    Options
    Goodness me and I felt my 3 years on my DMP was a long time! I agree ask for the cca you might not even need to pay anything else at all. Good luck 
    TOTAL DEBT JUNE 2019: £38,233.87 Aiming debt free mid 2023. All bad debt written off / paid by January 2023. No missed payments in 2023. Only one active credit card to pay off! I DID IT 🎉
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Dmptogo said:
    Thank you that has got me thinking now.
    I have apparently one month to settle this DMP.(Clause written into the agreement)
    I could always ask for an extension on this because it could take up to a month to get replies from them.
    Any body got the stock letter for a CCa request 
    I doubt you would get any response within a month, these things tend to take time, its around 6 months to a year for most settlement offers to go through the mill, CCA request`s can take the same amount of time, although 3 months is more about average for those.

Why the time limit on settlement ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    Out of the 11 creditors we have 3 are CCJ I doubt they would settle for less or even write the debt off?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Dmptogo said:
    Out of the 11 creditors we have 3 are CCJ I doubt they would settle for less or even write the debt off?
    This is true, unless you have good reason why they should, on the other hand, the good news is 8 haven`t obtained a CCJ.
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    Hi everyone,just gone through all my DMP creditors and sent CCA requests.
    I have 3 CCJs I am assuming they will not settle for 30% 40% offers would they.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Who is your DMP with if it time limited? I know that Stepchange do not go beyond 20yrs. My creditors wanted between 60-70% in settlement.
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    I never said my DMP was time limited.The person I am getting the money from has given me a month to sort it out.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Dmptogo said:
    I never said my DMP was time limited.The person I am getting the money from has given me a month to sort it out.
    I think that was just the implication from your post, as Sourcrates has said the likelihood of getting anything agreed in a month is very slim, maybe more likely if you deal with them over the phone
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure