Would you recommend a smart meter from Octopus energy?

I was moved to octopus from avro.
Anyway like many others having to be careful with my gas/electricity usage and wondered if I should get a smart meter fitted?
I hear a lot of pros and cons and hassle from them, so looking for people's opinions as to whether I should go down that route.

Comments

• nologo
    nologo Posts: 132
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes , fitted very quickly (about an hour) for both gas & electricity,even had a power pack so we could keep working from home, (for the router) made sure every thing works before he left  (boiler,etc)  works without fault ever since.very impressed  even does economy 7 (not 5 port type though)
    Deepest Kent. 4.6kw  Growatt inverter, solar i boost+

ok so far...
  • There is no such thing as an Octopus smart meter. Octopus uses its own smart meter installation team in some areas and it uses third-party installers in other areas. Octopus does though have an excellent smart meter team. That said, like all suppliers they have very few levers to pull. The DCC looks after the network and communications hubs, and individual meter manufacturers design; build and certify their meters. They are also responsible for firmware updates.

• SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 734
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Anyway like many others having to be careful with my gas/electricity usage and wondered if I should get a smart meter fitted?
    I hear a lot of pros and cons and hassle from them, so looking for people's opinions as to whether I should go down that route.
    Out of interest as a long time former meter reader and huge critic of the truly awful and not fit for purpose Secure Liberty smart meters can you tell me which make and model of smart meter are Octopus fitting? 
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,122
    Forumite
    SAC2334 said:
    Out of interest as a long time former meter reader and huge critic of the truly awful and not fit for purpose Secure Liberty smart meters can you tell me which make and model of smart meter are Octopus fitting? 
    There are a few different SMETS2 that may be used,
    For a long time they mostly installed L+G SMETS2 meters, but they have also used Kaifa and EDMI.
    Personally I would avoid Kaifa if you can.

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,249
    Forumite
    The pros are that it should make billing cheaper, opens up cheaper tariffs if you have an EV and will in the future open up cheaper ToU tariffs. The negatives only exist for those who love fashioning aluminium foil into headwear. 
  • I had my old SMETS1 smart electricity meter originally supplied by Eon in 2015 and an old style non smart gas meter upgraded in April this year.
    Octopus are currently fitting the EDMI ES-10B SMETS2 Smart Electricity Meters and EDMI GS-60B SMETS2 Smart Gas Meters and they come with a Chameleon IHD7-PPMID In Home Display. NB These models may be different in different areas of the country.

• Granadalad
    Granadalad Posts: 40
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Also moved to Octopus from Avro and had a (Landis+Gyr) SMETS-2 smart meter fitted this week as I'm going to need it soon for solar energy export. Swift installation without difficulty and follow up email checking if theinstaller was polite, explained the equipment, wore covers on shoes to avoid dirt on carpet , etc.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,100
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Smart meters do nothing the energy user cannot do for themselves like turning off everything not in use or turning down the temperatures on the boiler to 50 for water and 55 for heating and lowering the thermostat to 18 degrees.

IMO it's not the meter that saves you money it's how you use the meter whether a smart meter or not.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 5 May 2022 at 2:49PM
    MWT said:
    SAC2334 said:
    There are a few different SMETS2 that may be used,
    For a long time they mostly installed L+G SMETS2 meters, but they have also used Kaifa and EDMI.
    Personally I would avoid Kaifa if you can.

Why? Yes, Kaifa had some issues last year which took 7 months to resolve but I have also had issues with the L&G G470 gas meter which took 3 months to resolve only to reappear 9 months later. To my knowledge, the consumer doesn’t get a choice. The installer fits what he/she is told to fit.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 22,864
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    wild666 said:
    Smart meters do nothing the energy user cannot do for themselves like turning off everything not in use or turning down the temperatures on the boiler to 50 for water and 55 for heating and lowering the thermostat to 18 degrees.

IMO it's not the meter that saves you money it's how you use the meter whether a smart meter or not.
    They do provide access to tariffs that are otherwise not available, although the currently available versions of these tariffs are not quite such a good deal.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback