PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Viewings and Offers

Options
Hi All,

RM ad went out on 25/04 with asking of 'Offers over £290k', 8 viewings were booked within 48hrs. 7 last night (28/04) and 1 on Sunday (01/05).

2 cancelled last night - 1 wanting to reschedule for Sun.

5 became 4 after the first person saw the exterior of the terraced house and decided it was too small without going in. 2 offers came in

Buyer 1 @ £290k (apparently this Guy offered across the estate, and did not wish to increase his bid last year, but wishes he did as he is in rented accommodation 3miles away) - EA says he was direct to the point and calling the shots a bit. 
Buyer 2 @ £292k (lives on same estate, would rent out his 3 bedder)

The other two will submit their offers via email today. EA has advised and I trust her implicitly as she is really good, that out of the 4, Buyer 1 would probably be the most difficult to deal with. He's 'nice' but not as nice as the others.

If all 4 offers come in, then we will go to best and final. All 4 are chain free - so that is really good. 

I shall also wait for the 1/2 viewings on Sunday - this I shall host myself.

So overall, a good start, with a 100% hit rate on ppl viewing the home!

Comments

• babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Buyer 2 sounds a bit tricky, he will need to change his mortgage to a BTL then get a mortgage offer to buy yours.
    Buyer 1 is proceed able , (you don't have to like them) he sounds eager so for me buyer 1 sounds like he's in a far better position than buyer 2 
  • ironlady2022
    ironlady2022 Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buyer 2 sounds a bit tricky, he will need to change his mortgage to a BTL then get a mortgage offer to buy yours.
    Buyer 1 is proceed able , (you don't have to like them) he sounds eager so for me buyer 1 sounds like he's in a far better position than buyer 2 
    Thanks for this. I didn't think about the change to BTL mortgage but you are right. 

Is the process easy?

And he would just apply for new mortgage?

So in that respect, he's got an extra step in the process compared to Buyer 1.

Buyer 1 has sold his house to rent to get himself in better position. He's got a £200k deposit and income of £90k pa so he's in a good position to borrow. He could be a cash buyer but prefers a smaller mortgage. £300k is my magic number! 
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know very little on mortgages but buyer 1 sounds even better given the figures .

Sometimes the highest offer isn't always the best option, there is always the problem of a different valuation from the lender who, now are making their lending criteria a lot tighter 

My buyer had a 30/70 % LTV , both high earners but mortgage offer took over 4 weeks with lots of questions from the underwriters 

For me buyer 1 is in a far better financial position & can proceed immediately with no chain his end 
  • ironlady2022
    Options
    I know very little on mortgages but buyer 1 sounds even better given the figures .

Sometimes the highest offer isn't always the best option, there is always the problem of a different valuation from the lender who, now are making their lending criteria a lot tighter 

My buyer had a 30/70 % LTV , both high earners but mortgage offer took over 4 weeks with lots of questions from the underwriters 

For me buyer 1 is in a far better financial position & can proceed immediately with no chain his end 
    Yes, i agree. 

I like the idea of Buyer 2 living on same estate as i know his house will rent out easily, but had not factored in the change to BTL.

I'm still waiting on the last two email offers with two additional viewings on Sunday so I don't have the full picture as yet. 

I've done an excel document so i can rank the Buyers in order of preference so I'm going to put Buyer 1 over Buyer 2 after the feedback. 
  • Noneforit999
    Noneforit999 Posts: 629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2022 at 10:56AM
    Options
    mayling03 said:
    Thanks for this. I didn't think about the change to BTL mortgage but you are right. 

Is the process easy?

Buyer 1 has sold his house to rent to get himself in better position. He's got a £200k deposit and income of £90k pa so he's in a good position to borrow. He could be a cash buyer but prefers a smaller mortgage. £300k is my magic number! 
    We picked a buyer who was doing the same thing, remortgaging for a BTL and taking out equity to buy ours.

It took 11 weeks of back and forth for the lender to decide they would lend but for less than they needed which made it impossible for them to continue. Our EA told us 8-12 weeks to get a BTL mortgage offer was not unusual. 

Now they are having to sell their house to buy ours, effectively delaying the process by several months.

I am sure plenty of BTL's go through without issue but I wouldn't pick one again, not in a million years. 
  • ironlady2022
    Options
    mayling03 said:

Is the process easy?

We picked a buyer who was doing the same thing, remortgaging for a BTL and taking out equity to buy ours.

It took 11 weeks of back and forth for the lender to decide they would lend but for less than they needed which made it impossible for them to continue. Our EA told us 8-12 weeks to get a BTL mortgage offer was not unusual. 

Now they are having to sell their house to buy ours, effectively delaying the process by several months.

I am sure plenty of BTL's go through without issue but I wouldn't pick one again, not in a million years. 
    Yes thank you, v useful. I've not fully understand what actually needs to happen from their point of view. I thought, o they don't need to sell their house, which is an advantage!

You would have thought, it's 2 separate applications which should be easy. I guess it is harder if he's a first time buy to let investor. 
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We sold ours to somebody who kept their existing house for a BTL and took out a mortgage on ours, so there were 2 mortgages involved. Fortunately for them we weren't in a huge hurry to move due to holidays, but it got a bit tense when exchange kept being put back because of the need to co-ordinate their solicitors receiving both lots of money.  Agreed sale in early April, completed mid July, with exchange the week before.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ironlady2022
    Options
    Slinky said:
    We sold ours to somebody who kept their existing house for a BTL and took out a mortgage on ours, so there were 2 mortgages involved. Fortunately for them we weren't in a huge hurry to move due to holidays, but it got a bit tense when exchange kept being put back because of the need to co-ordinate their solicitors receiving both lots of money.  Agreed sale in early April, completed mid July, with exchange the week before.
    In theory, it should be pretty simple. 

When you say two lots of money, I'm guessing, releasing equity on their existing house which they would turn into BTL and then new residential mortgage from the bank. 
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mayling03 said:
    Slinky said:

When you say two lots of money, I'm guessing, releasing equity on their existing house which they would turn into BTL and then new residential mortgage from the bank. 

Yes I'm assuming they took a mortgage out on our house, although they never had a physical survey of it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ironlady2022
    Options
    Slinky said:
    mayling03 said:
    Slinky said:

Yes I'm assuming they took a mortgage out on our house, although they never had a physical survey of it.
    No physical survey, was it covid times? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure