Does Tax Credits Exemption Cover Lenses?

Options
2»

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The spherical power is below 6 and cylindrical below 2, so for bifocals (I assume, as it includes the addition for near vision) that would be voucher E

Voucher E: £67.50

Glasses with bifocal lenses (lenses with 2 distinct optical powers):

• with a spherical power of no more than 6 dioptres, and a cylindrical power of no more than 2 dioptres
    I don't know how it works with varifocals, presumably they apply the value of the (bifocal) voucher towards them? 
    [If others here are unable to confirm, the Health and Beauty board has at least one member who is an optician who should be able to confirm.]

The link poppy posted tells you the values 
    https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/opticians/nhs-voucher-values-for-glasses-and-lenses/

Which one you have is determined by your prescription (clinical need) rather than by financial circumstances.

Thank you, we do have a copy of our test results but wasn't told what value that came to....I'm more and more convinced the chap that dealt with the costs hasn't properly read our certificate has like I say the frames were from the NHS range so not designer and I believe an optical voucher would of covered more??
    Thank you for your reply
    Prescriptions are fairly simple to read.  Do a Google search specifying UK prescriptions and see which explanation makes sense to you, then you can refer to the page and see which matches up.

(Or if you want you can post the values/results here and we'll be able to tell you.)
    Hopefully my pic has uploaded lol

I should of been more prepared before we went but just assumed they would know more about the certificate than I did but lesson learnt.

Thank you again.

To be fair that is a reasonable assumption given that they most likely deal with exemption certificates frequently, at least far more often than you ever will!
  • clare1angel
    clare1angel Posts: 197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The spherical power is below 6 and cylindrical below 2, so for bifocals (I assume, as it includes the addition for near vision) that would be voucher E

Voucher E: £67.50

Glasses with bifocal lenses (lenses with 2 distinct optical powers):

• with a spherical power of no more than 6 dioptres, and a cylindrical power of no more than 2 dioptres
    I don't know how it works with varifocals, presumably they apply the value of the (bifocal) voucher towards them? 
    [If others here are unable to confirm, the Health and Beauty board has at least one member who is an optician who should be able to confirm.]

The link poppy posted tells you the values 
    https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/opticians/nhs-voucher-values-for-glasses-and-lenses/

Which one you have is determined by your prescription (clinical need) rather than by financial circumstances.

Thank you, we do have a copy of our test results but wasn't told what value that came to....I'm more and more convinced the chap that dealt with the costs hasn't properly read our certificate has like I say the frames were from the NHS range so not designer and I believe an optical voucher would of covered more??
    Thank you for your reply
    Prescriptions are fairly simple to read.  Do a Google search specifying UK prescriptions and see which explanation makes sense to you, then you can refer to the page and see which matches up.

(Or if you want you can post the values/results here and we'll be able to tell you.)
    Hopefully my pic has uploaded lol

I should of been more prepared before we went but just assumed they would know more about the certificate than I did but lesson learnt.

Thank you again.

To be fair that is a reasonable assumption given that they most likely deal with exemption certificates frequently, at least far more often than you ever will!
    Thank you so much! That does make sense to me now so I appreciate you looking at his results.

So I'm now assuming that the eye test and frames came to the £67.50 (although the eye tests were both free so?)...but I don't have a detailed receipt so will be asking when we next go just to be sure.

Thanks again.

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    edited 28 April 2022 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Just wondering if the optician has filled in the GOS3 form (the optical voucher)  correctly. 
  • clare1angel
    Options
    Just wondering if the optician has filled in the GOS3 form (the optical voucher)  correctly. 
    I wasn't told about anything like that but then again I didn't ask so I will be enquiring when we go in.  Now I have more information I know what I'm asking about so thank you very much I appreciate everyone's help.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I wasn't told about anything like that but then again I didn't ask so I will be enquiring when we go in.  Now I have more information I know what I'm asking about so thank you very much I appreciate everyone's help.
    What happens when I go to the optician:

- I tell them that I have a tax credits exemption certificate.
    - There's paperwork to complete for the free sight test (may not apply to your DH as he's over 60?)
    - They do the sight test and give me the prescription PLUS they provide and  complete optical voucher if my glasses need changing.
    - Choose glasses, complete my section of optical voucher.
  • clare1angel
    Options
    What happens when I go to the optician:

- I tell them that I have a tax credits exemption certificate.
    - There's paperwork to complete for the free sight test (may not apply to your DH as he's over 60?)
    - They do the sight test and give me the prescription PLUS they provide and  complete optical voucher if my glasses need changing.
    - Choose glasses, complete my section of optical voucher.
    I showed him the certificates, didn't fill in any paperwork (I'm under 60), I didn't see any paperwork for the optical voucher and my hubby was just shown the NHS wall of frames he could chose from.....I will be asking for a full breakdown and ask if a GOS3 form has been filled in.

Thanks again
  • clare1angel
    Options
    So I finally collected my husbands glasses yesterday after a slight delay and asked if a GOS 3 form had actually been filled in......the lady couldn't tell me as she was new and unfortunately her boss wasn't in - she was just making appointments and giving out glasses.

So I left some details and she assured me someone would get back to me today and surprise surprise I ended up phoning them back after waiting until this afternoon.

I explained that I wanted to check a form had been filled in as I didn't believe the right discount had been applied.....he proceeded to tell me that a £60 discount had been applied in luie of the frames????

I said to him that I was never asked to sign or check details on any forms and he said it's done electronically and I asked if the form was on the account and he couldn't tell me as "it's not my account can you come Monday and speak to the correct supervisor"!!!

I really now wish we'd just gone to a named high street opticians but I will persevere as they could be doing with other people and that's not right but I'm not sure if or how I could take it further?

Sorry for the rant lol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure