Home Insurance 'No Claims' On Joint Policy

Strange question, we've had a joint home insurance policy for last 15 years with various insurers and sometimes swapped between names of main policy holder depending on who it worked out cheaper for.  Something just clicked with me today; are we meant to base the no claims on 1 person, i.e. whoever was the main holder?  It doesn't seem to be like car insurance no claims where you have to prove it

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Many home insurers have no concept of NCD but instead its simply a question of how long have you held insurance and when have your claims been... from that you could argue they can proxy a "NCD" but with NCD Protection etc, which a tiny number of Home insures offer, then your NCD can exceed the number of years claim free etc.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It doesn't seem to be like car insurance no claims where you have to prove it
    That is because there is no concept of NCD with home insurance.   A small handful of providers use it as a marketing gimmick but most dont.

Usually, the claim information is based on the homeowners. e.g. if a property is jointly owned and a loss occurs on the property then it should be declared irrespective of which of you holds a policy.   It is always sensible to do home insurance with all owners named.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bigstevex
    bigstevex Posts: 913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sandtree said:
    Many home insurers have no concept of NCD but instead its simply a question of how long have you held insurance and when have your claims been... from that you could argue they can proxy a "NCD" but with NCD Protection etc, which a tiny number of Home insures offer, then your NCD can exceed the number of years claim free etc.
    That's why I've never thought anything of it, it's been in wife's name for last 6 years and mine before that for ~9 years, the question is vague and if it's a joint policy, surely we both 'earn' the NCD as a couple, there's no protection on it and never claimed in 15 years either.  They are now £50 cheaper if I insure in my name vs the wife.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback