How to fill your time when retired

Options
Morning all

Not sure if this is the correct category to post this but hopefully someone will advise if it's not.

I'm just about to retire at 68, have been working 3 days a week for the last 20 years so not going from one extreme to another.  I'm fairly comfortably off financially & in good shape, but my worry is how to fill all my days.  I've got a list started but it's not very exciting!  Mainly cleaning, gardening, going to movies, walking, swimming etc. I've only got a couple of close friends so going for lots of lunches or weekend breaks is fairly limited.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a website that gives you tons of options of what a new retiree might want to try?
Thanks for your helps.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did some exam invigilator work , seasonal work but interesting and pays reasonably

I also volunteered in a local museum and a charity shop
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Dizee123
    Dizee123 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try your local University of the Third Age (U3A).  I was pleasantly surprised at the variety and number of local activities I could take part in and the joining fee is very reasonable.  I will definitely be joining next year when my grand daughter starts school, and will hopefully join to improve my photography and have fun playing tennis tennis. 
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    Really?  

OK agree look at U3A website for you area.  https://www.cardiffu3a.org.uk/groups  Obviously in Cardiff.

Many ofthese groups are now transitioning from Zoom to face to face but not all.

Do you have an interest/ specific hobby?  Look on internet for a group near you.

I love cinema so I go about once or twice a week to Cineworld.  Also local college of arts including theatre - I go to student performances i.e. 3rd yr graduates and MSCs.  They do music too but not into that.
  • PennyForThem_2
    Options
    I also game with friends - World of Warcraft / Dungeons & Dragons - all good over internet,
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm a football fan and go all over Essex to watch a game - all on my bus pass! Basildon - Chelmsford - coffee. Chelmsford  Stansted aitport - er, coffee. Local bus to Takely (for example) and back - takes all day!
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    restless.co.uk has tons of resources and might give you some ideas
    volunteering?
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Learning?

a language with Duolingo (free)?

loads of free courses from the OU here:
    https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Volunteer with the National Trust? 

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/find-an-opportunity
  • Skintoap
    Skintoap Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are interested in volunteering, most areas have a volunteer centre that can match people with vacancies. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback