should I ignore this phone bill

showmethemoneyuk
showmethemoneyuk Posts: 106 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 April 2022 at 7:25PM in Phones & TV

I decided to upgrade to a new phone, as my old one was running low on storage and was now out of contract on the 3 network.I was unable to receive the new one at their official store after ordering, as the staff believed I did not have sufficient ID (I had a print of the order but they wanted an additional item with an address also).

The store returned the phone, so I was never able to use it, although I did eventually manage to get hold of a new phone and start a new contract with them, but this time taking across my old number.

For the phone never received and returned by the store, I have now received a bill. It shows the phone's number. As you can see it does state 'under our money back guarantee, you have nothing to pay this period', yet conflictingly still shows 'value owed' with a total payment due date, although seemingly relating to a previous balance. Should I ignore this bill based on the former? What is seemingly being asked for (£59) does not reflect what I have ever had to pay on any phone monthly by direct debit (usually under £10 per month when in contract). For the brief period of being out of contract I never used a 3 phone on payg.

The only other thing I can think of would be that this is some kind of cancellation charge for the returned phone and cancelled contract, but that phone was likely returned by the store before the due date (a 14 day return). Their customer sevice lines are not often very helpful leaving people running around in circles, so I thought I'd just post here for opinion. Thanks

update - I phoned again, it turns out the staff did not know why this previous amount due was shown, put it down to error and to ignore it. I would not be surprised if call centres push this kind of final bill on seemingly leaving customers all the time, who may simply worry and pay no questions asked. I am carrying on with my new phone and contract but may consider other options in future once the contract is over. I will certainly query all bills in future that look suspect, and of course I advise everyone else to do the same. 

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure