American Express British Airways Avios welcome points con

As an American Express cardholder of over 14 years I was targeted for their British Airways Avios card. Stating a welcome gift of 10000 Avios points if spending over a £1k in the first three months (offer normally 5000 points). I duly applied and received my card. Having used it for the first three months exceeding their £1k threshold, paying the complete balance each month and on time I was amused to find they slapped a £2 'interest fee' on my month three statement for no rhyme or reason. Speaking with a representative this fee was removed - but why it was there in the first place could not be answered. I next questioned why after 3 months using the card and meeting the contracted criteria why had I not received my 10000 Avios welcome bonus. I was then greeted to over an hour of phone hold to eventually be told as I was an existing AmEx card member (with a different type of card) I was NOT entitled to the contracted BA Avios bonus! Having re-checked their contract paperwork I confirm that their targeted advertising with regard to the welcome bonus is/was in my case nothing more than a blatant lie. I requested they closed my card forthwith and will closing my other card soonest. Very disappointed that a company of this ilk has resulted to a degraded, immoral contract breach to increase its business.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 April 2022 at 4:20PM
    It'll be some confusion or admin error somewhere along the line, rather than anything degraded, immoral, blatant lie or con.

Sounds like you may have left it too late to get it sorted now though if you've closed your cards.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    gvs544 said:
    I was targeted for their British Airways Avios card.
    In what way and by which organisation?

All new customer promotions typically have limitations for existing customers. AmEx used to be limited to type of benefit and not having held a similar card for 6 months but clearly they are entitled to change those terms whenever they like as long as they are in the T&C of the new promotion.

What did the T&Cs say?
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2022 at 8:19PM
    It has always been this way and they do put it in the small print. Annoying but something to put down to experience. 

If you’re able to spend that much, have a look at one of the Barclaycard Avios credit cards - they have good sign up bonuses. 
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 April 2022 at 2:15PM
    gvs544 said:

I was targeted for their British Airways Avios card.

Were you? If you can prove that you were targetted then you have a valid complaint.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the OP doesn't come back to update us.  In 2 years they've made 4 posts, 3 of which have been deleted .....
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the OP doesn't come back to update us.  In 2 years they've made 4 posts, 3 of which have been deleted .....
    In case something similar happens without the entire thread being wiped, perhaps worth capturing that the above posts were in response to:
    As an American Express cardholder of over 14 years I was targeted for their British Airways Avios card. Stating a welcome gift of 10000 Avios points if spending over a £1k in the first three months (offer normally 5000 points). I duly applied and received my card. Having used it for the first three months exceeding their £1k threshold, paying the complete balance each month and on time I was amused to find they slapped a £2 'interest fee' on my month three statement for no rhyme or reason. Speaking with a representative this fee was removed - but why it was there in the first place could not be answered. I next questioned why after 3 months using the card and meeting the contracted criteria why had I not received my 10000 Avios welcome bonus. I was then greeted to over an hour of phone hold to eventually be told as I was an existing AmEx card member (with a different type of card) I was NOT entitled to the contracted BA Avios bonus! Having re-checked their contract paperwork I confirm that their targeted advertising with regard to the welcome bonus is/was in my case nothing more than a blatant lie. I requested they closed my card forthwith and will closing my other card soonest. Very disappointed that a company of this ilk has resulted to a degraded, immoral contract breach to increase its business.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback