Is there anyone else who hates direct debit

I don't like the idea of having standing orders/direct debit with companies. I think it's a cheek to have to prepay for a service or product or to have someone reach inside my bank account and take the money. I'd far rather get a bill and pay the company myself. Is anyone else with me?
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Never had an issue. 
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,812
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No issues for me. 
    So much easier, even more so if they all go out at the same time 
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    From a consumer perspective, no complaints - DD guarantee provides some cover.  I have them except for electricity company (prior experience of massive over estimation by multiple companies).  Council tax just gets sorted etc each month even with new years etc etc.

(I do note that Scottish Power make me grumpy because they've started issuing me bizarre billing periods such as 2 months, 1 month, 3 months, 4 months, etc, when its supposed to be quarterly.  Feels like an attempt to get me to go with DD, that or they don't like that I locked into their "until end of 2023 rate" september last year at a really nice rate compared to the cap now.)

From a "technical" perspective (I work in financial software), I loath them with a vengeance due to complexities behind the scenes of some schemes, sepa direct debits are particularly fun, for those who know the backbone etc, with the "R messages", Sepa rule book compliance, and so on.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,150
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Direct Debits are god's little gift to bill payment
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    No. I love them. Besides, it's not 'pre-payment' at all. For example my rent, paid each week by standing order. Not pre-paid at all, just paid on (usually after) the date due. Same with council tax DD, paid on due date each month since I can't afford to pay the full annual amount.

Receiving bills would mean companies having to use the post, hiking up costs for consumers - and then me having to remember to pay which bill when in a timely manner so that late or missed payments don't appear on my credit reports.

Much easier to have either SOs or DDs in place. And if anything goes wrong, you have the DD guarantee (and hopefully some kind of SO guarantee - although as theonlywayisup says above, the SOs come from my bank and if they did it wrong I'd expect them to put it right).
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    No. I love them. Besides, it's not 'pre-payment' at all. For example my rent, paid each week by standing order. Not pre-paid at all, just paid on (usually after) the date due. Same with council tax DD, paid on due date each month since I can't afford to pay the full annual amount.

Receiving bills would mean companies having to use the post, hiking up costs for consumers - and then me having to remember to pay which bill when in a timely manner so that late or missed payments don't appear on my credit reports.

Much easier to have either SOs or DDs in place. And if anything goes wrong, you have the DD guarantee (and hopefully some kind of SO guarantee - although as theonlywayisup says above, the SOs come from my bank and if they did it wrong I'd expect them to put it right).
    A standing order is just a regularly timed bank transfer so don’t think the bank would always put it right, if you set it up wrong. If it is their admin error that makes it get paid twice it’s the banks fault, but if you entered wrong details then same as bank transfer it is generally your issue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback