Touched my phone in a cradle when driving

Options
I was making a hands free call, but then it glitched and the sound was coming out of a bluetooth speaker i coudlnt here. i tapped the phone to change the speaker so i could hear it. it was mounted in a cradle. is this illegal? im worrying someone saw me and reported me.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes it is forbidden but it is highly unlikely anyone would have spotted it and reported it.
  • 1990xrider
    1990xrider Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    wongataa said:
    Yes it is forbidden but it is highly unlikely anyone would have spotted it and reported it.
    I read that it's not illegal to use if in cradle as it only covers handheld devices, the only thing they could charge you with is driving without due care and attention? 
  • 1990xrider
    Options
    wongataa said:

"
    • There is no law to prevent tapping your phone on a fixed mount, however police can still charge you for driving without due care and attention or careless driving.
    • "
  • 1990xrider
    Options
    Isn't using a phone in a cradle considered hands free use, therefore perfectly legal providing it isnt a distraction?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Isn't using a phone in a cradle considered hands free use, therefore perfectly legal providing it isnt a distraction?
    Yes. The law only forbids using a "hand-held" device.
  • 1990xrider
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Yes. The law only forbids using a "hand-held" device.
    Ok so I'm good then? Sorry i think i misunderstood it
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,896 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The rules changed on the 25th March 2022 where pretty much any touching of the phone even in a cradle is now illegal.

There are a few exceptions such as using it for contactless payments provided the car is stationary. Tapping your phone in a cradle whilst moving is not an exception for pretty much anything now.

Highly unlikely that anyone would have reported you though. But next time, you should pull over before doing anything on the phone, even in the cradle to be safely on the right side of the law.
  • 1990xrider
    Options
    400ixl said:
    The rules changed on the 25th March 2022 where pretty much any touching of the phone even in a cradle is now illegal.

There are a few exceptions such as using it for contactless payments provided the car is stationary. Tapping your phone in a cradle whilst moving is not an exception for pretty much anything now.

Highly unlikely that anyone would have reported you though. But next time, you should pull over before doing anything on the phone, even in the cradle to be safely on the right side of the law.
    That's what I thought but (I can't put a link here), but the rules seem to have only changed for handheld phones? The rules for hand free are still the same 
  • oldagetraveller1
    Options
    "im worrying someone saw me and reported me."
    Yes, saw it in my rearview mirror. It was recorded on my rear window dashcam. The relevant files have been sent to the feds for their consideration.
    Not really!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure