Card declined on online payment at American gateways

Options
I tried to make an online payment at a website using Stripe for charging the cards, but my payment was declined with an unknown error (do_not_honor described at https://stripe.com/docs/error-codes/card-declined).

It is said that the issuing bank refuses to complete the transaction. I tried three cards (from Santander, Lloyds, and Barclays). I have no problem with other payments by these cards.

I read somewhere that the problem might be associated with the extra security of European cards (e.g., 3D Secure).

I wonder if anyone else has ever encountered this problem?

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask your card issuer, they'll be able to advise if the payment was declined by them or Stripe and if declined by them then why.

Have had all sorts of problems making payments in the 30 years of using cards and most the card issuer can explain and others remain a mystery as it was the payment service that declined prior to approaching my bank. 
  • eloy7
    eloy7 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    Ask your card issuer, they'll be able to advise if the payment was declined by them or Stripe and if declined by them then why.

I first tried it. After 30 min waiting in the support line of Barclays, I thought it is faster to ask here :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback