Water stopcock

Does anyone know, if you cant find your stopcock and the plumber cant find it either is there a way to find out from building plan records or somthing? I dont have any but wondered if this is something recorded when tbe house was originally built ( around 1940)? 

Replies

• Ref44Ref44 Forumite
    47 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Given the age of the property, I would be looking just inside the boundary line next to the highway and close to where the waterboards valve is.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The internal or external one?

In my council property the internal one is in the pantry near the boiler, although I was repeatedly told that it was 'under the sink, that's where they all are'. It isn't. Neither I nor the plumber could find it. And he works for the council!

There's also an isolator valve in the bathroom between the sink and toilet.

Outside, ours is on the pathway down to the front door - near to where the water pipes come into the property.

There's this info from Martin Lewis's blog - he's updated it since it was first written ten years ago -

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2012/12/stopcock-tips-can-you-find-yours/
    Please note that comments are strictly my own opinion, intended to help - never hinder. If they do not help then please ignore as the intention of the forum is to help everyone, if possible. MSE forum rules clearly state "no two people have the same circumstances or experiences and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make." It's always best to verify everything. Inappropriate comments will be reported, as per the Forum rules.
  • Shaemus356Shaemus356 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Does anyone know, if you cant find your stopcock and the plumber cant find it either is there a way to find out from building plan records or somthing? I dont have any but wondered if this is something recorded when tbe house was originally built ( around 1940)? 
    Do you have a leak detection system installed ?  One of the best on the market is Autostopcock, it has a mains isolating switch on the controller making it very easy to switch the water On or Off