HSBC premier travel insurance

Options
I have a travel insurance with HSBC. 

I'm wondering if I'm covered in the following scenario: 

If I rent a car in the US and I accidentally run someone over or damage someone's vehicle, am I covered under personal liability?

The policy has an exclusion that says "electrically or mechanically powered vehicles, other than golf buggies or vehicles designed to assist disabled persons (as long as not registered for road use)" are not covered. However a car with a combustion engine doesn't fall under this category. 

I called their helpline and their staff told me a motor vehicle wouldn't be covered either. I asked them to point me to the clause that says that and they just told me it's not covered so I'm not sure if I have been told incorrect information?

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2022 at 2:17PM
    Options
    A car is a 'mechanically powered vehicle', so is mentioned in their exclusion that you've quoted.   It sounds as if the information you received from their help line is correct.
  • euanovsky
    euanovsky Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow said:
    A car is a 'mechanically powered vehicle', so is mentioned in their exclusion that you've quoted.   It sounds as if the information you received from their help line is correct.
    Thanks - I thought mechanically powered vehicle means bicycles etc and not vehicles with a motor?
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If I rent a car in the US and I accidentally run someone over or damage someone's vehicle, am I covered under personal liability?

Your car insurance (if you hired from a local rental company) will cover this situation. 
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    euanovsky said:
    martindow said:
    Thanks - I thought mechanically powered vehicle means bicycles etc and not vehicles with a motor?
    Exact opposite, mechanically powered has some form of engine/motor... human powered (eg bicycles) are what are covered.

movilogo said:

Your car insurance (if you hired from a local rental company) will cover this situation. 
    The OP is asking about the USA where the statutory insurance could be as low as $5k limit, most sell SLI cover to increase this limit (often to $1m) which can be bought from the hire company or is often part of third party Car Hire Excess Insurance too.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Normal travel insurance never covers liability for driving a car, it's a standard exclusion.
    Might be worth getting CDW excess and SLI insurance before you go, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback